My tenant has moved out and installed another in his place!!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Mrs Beeton

My tenant has moved out and installed another in his place!!

Post by Mrs Beeton »

I have recently been trying to make appointments with my tenant who is under notice, to show a new prospective tenant around the house. My tenant wanted the telephone numbers of the prospective clients so that he could make arrangements direct with them to view the house????? Hold on a minute it should be the landlord should it not who shows them round???? After the second refusal because he was too busy, or the place was too untidy I became suspicious and demanded access. I was always calling her on her mobile so had no idea where she was. By asking in the village she has apparently moved about 50 miles away and installed a friend of hers in the house with his cat! When I rang him to query this I was horrified to have to listen to a tirade of loud argument about how he can put anyone he wants in there if he is not subletting (debatable??),,,,blah,blah,blah.....I was very uspet about all this.

Information for landlords in France: I came home and re-read the agreement I made with him and it clearly states that I, the landlord, can have two hours access every day except fete days, at my convenience to show people round or to do maintenance. So I have copied this to him and will leave it with his friend this afternoon.
He has been the tenant from hell as readers may have realised from previous postings on here, this is the last straw really but he will be gone in a couple of weeks. (and his friend - I hope)......
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Mrs B You do seem to be having trouble..

I had something similar in England..here you can have access once youve given them notice that you need to visit....this chap had altered the locks and his friend was living there I gave him notice and he moved out..

Here you cant just let yourself in but after giving notice and they arent there...I would go along with a third party[estate agent etc. and get access..]

It might be different in France though of course
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Hello Isabella!

Sorry to hear of the troubles you are having. I don't understand - is this a holiday rental you are talking about? If not, I presume that the laws must be different for residential lettings, and I would imagine that the majority of people on this forum only do holiday rentals so I'd be surprised if many of us can correctly advise you. I certainly can't. Sorry. :(
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I Have long lets but only in UK :wink:

Think Alan might have some idea I think he has had some dealings with Long Lets as well :roll:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Mrs B,

I am not a French lawyer so I can’t give you legal advice as such.

However I do know that the “standard� letting agreement in use in France normally contains a clause dealing with both the assigning and sub-letting of the property.

The clause would prohibit the tenant from allowing friends or others who are not named in the letting agreement to take occupation of the property and would provide that the landlord has the right to immediately repossess the property if the tenant does so. It doesn’t matter if it is a case of assignment or of sub-letting, it is not allowed.

If the tenancy is up in a couple of weeks and you recover vacant possession on the due date then there’s nothing to worry about except of course the state the property is left in.

Let me sound a word of warning. If you don’t regain possession on the due date do not under any circumstances try to evict the occupier yourself and do not use or threaten to use any force or harassment in trying to get him/her out – in France it is illegal and you would be committing an offence. In those circumstances you must immediately apply for a court order.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Fluffy
Mrs Beeton

tenant installed someone in my house

Post by Mrs Beeton »

Thanks all for the replies. I visited the property yesterday and met the new resident. I was in fact showing round new tenants so I arrived holding my breath. As it happens he has been put in there to clean the place for my tenant and he is doing a fantastic job, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

I have found the clause on the rental agreement and the town hall are helping me to adjust the wording slight.
Thanks again - I am not in so much of a panic now.