Dr Laura Brooks email from H-R

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
centime

Dr Laura Brooks email from H-R

Post by centime »

Just had 3 emails with no phone number from the above (see below for the text) all within 5 minutes, a bit strange as the properties are not in the same region, let me know if any of you on H-R have had the same so we can email the staff on H-R about this.
Hello,
I am Dr. Laura Brooks and I
will be coming for a week holiday
in your country with my family and
I want an accommodation for one
week. ...As soon as I hear
from you will be issuing you
payment inform of cheque.
Lisbon the lovely, Lisbon the fair, never to have seen her is to miss something rare!
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Centime - I have two properties on H-R but have heard nothing from Dr. Laura. :cry: Bjs,
debk
paolo

Post by paolo »

I have long said that any enquiry that begins "I am [name]" is a scam. However, this week I received a genuine enquiry that began "My name is...." Perhaps that was the exception that proves the rule. Anyway, your enquiry smells very strongly of the worst stall at the fish market and I will eat my Lay My Hat if it is genuine.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Stu

Post by Stu »

paolo wrote:I have long said that any enquiry that begins "I am [name]" is a scam. However, this week I received a genuine enquiry that began "My name is...." Perhaps that was the exception that proves the rule. Anyway, your enquiry smells very strongly of the worst stall at the fish market and I will eat my Lay My Hat if it is genuine.
Have to agree....look at the language used. Typical spam. BUT, I'll be selling tickets for the LMH eating extravaganza..... :lol:
smallcheese

scam enquiry from Laura Brooks

Post by smallcheese »

I have 2 properties listed with H-R and a few weeks ago had an emquiry from a 'Laura Brooks' posing as 'foreign operation manager' of 'Oceanic International plc'. The initial email sounded plausible - I emailed booking information through, and she said she would send a sterling cheque for full amount plus security deposit. Then I had an email from her saying that she had made the cheque out for too much, and could I send her the balance back, once I had received it (ha!) This morning I have received a cheque for £4500 (the actual holiday payment should have been £725). The cheque is a personal cheque, not in the name of Laura Brooks, and is a UK based bank account, with a different signature on the cheque to the printed name on the cheque. The whole lot is being handed over to the fraud investigation unit.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

There's a scam warning on one of the other sites, and I'm sure the name is Laura Brooks.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Smallcheese[like that name] :wink:

Ha indeed :!:

...Glad you sussed it does seem obvious doesnt it..but people are still being caught out :( ....

Welcome by the way hope to see you posting again in the future.... :wink:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The police weren't interested when my sister had a similar experience recently.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Smallcheese,

It’s interesting to note that “Oceanic International plc� is a Nigerian Bank.

Enough said?

Fluffy
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hmmm..... all Scam roads lead to Nigeria - what a surprise!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be