Perseid Meteor Shower

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Normandy Cow

Perseid Meteor Shower

Post by Normandy Cow »

I've just sent an email to our guests who are arriving on August 11th, attaching this link to the Sunday Times website:
http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif ... 869865.ece

Those of you with properties in remote locations may wish to do the same (it would be a shame for guests to miss the show because they are tucked up in bed in ignorance!) :D
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We watched this in the Alpujarras a few years ago. No light pollution to spoil the show. We have guests that week and they should have a great view from Monetier too.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Thanks for that NC. I was a very keen astronomer until our move from the UK. Typically, I'd brave the cold winters nights to lug out a pretty hefty 8" reflector 'scope (I have it here) on nights when the pollution was 'passable' in terms of sky watching. Here, we have the most fantastic, velvety dark skies and I've had the 'scope out twice in 2 years!

I'll certainly be up to see the Perseid show though, thanks for reminding me!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Stu - as a keen astronomomer, could you help me out please? I have been wondering how to pronounce "perseid". Can you shed some light on this? (scuse pun!!! :lol: ).

Thanx

Daisy.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Per-say-id.

That's how I've always said it and heard it said too.

I have been known to be wrong though NC - lots!
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

Thanks for that NC, I've forwarded the article to friends who will be staying in our place that week!
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Thanks Daisy,

I have emailed our guests, we should have great display because we have the same black sky as Stu & Syb - well apart from 20 zillion stars of course :wink:

The last good one was 2 or 3 years ago, I laid back on a sunlounger & watched the show. They were coming through every few minutes, but in different parts of the sky. Quite amazing.

Robert