What is the best combination of single/double beds?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
kismet

What is the best combination of double/single beds?

Post by kismet »

Ok - have 3 bedrooms and cottage will sleep 6. All bedrooms can take a double if necessary, but what is the best combination of doubles/singles to go for? [We were thinking of 2 bedrooms with double beds, and one with twin (zip/push together if req)]

What's the view on bunk beds? Bad idea?
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi Kismet. Where is your property? What market are you hoping for? I personally don't like bunk beds but it depends for whom you are catering? :|

www.thepetitmanoir.com
tansy

Post by tansy »

exactly...what is your market.

we have 5 bedrooms in both houses - 2 double beds & 6 single - I find I have more than enough flexibility with this arrangement as I can push together if necessary...perhaps look at 1 double & 4 singles (2 twin rooms)

...one house I looked after for some other folk had one bedroom with 3 singles - that went down really well with kids if it was 2 families together - they then thought it was a great adventure with someone else sleeping in the same room that wasn't a brother or sister !
oskar

Post by oskar »

For a 3 bed property, you are likely to be targeting families, so the best combination would be 1 double and 2 twins.
kismet

Post by kismet »

Yes, see what you mean about market driving the decision. Kismet is an old stone cottage in a quiet Cotswold village. Open fires, steep stairs, lots of oak. We’re just finishing the refurbishment.
The cottage is made up of two “blocks� that are joined on the ground floor only; the bedrooms are divided between two. Bedroom 1 is large, en-suite in one block. Bedroom 2 is a good dbl and 3 is on the third storey above bedroom 2 under the oak joists/purlins in the roof.
Hence the difficulty (and yes, we should have said this first off!) because bedroom 1 is isolated from the others, and bedroom 3 is in the sloping roof space. We’ll try and appeal to couples or a family (total 6 peeps).
So. Bin the bunk bed idea then. Too limiting. Bed 1 double, 2 & 3 twins. Bedroom 3 might be a bit tight as a twin, but that is the most flexible option.
Thanks for the replies everyone. Very helpful.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hello, Kismet. I'm a bit late into this discussion, but like you we have a 3 bedroomed cottage. We have two double rooms and a twin bedded room, but, our top floor double bedroom is very large and has a seating area with a settee. What we don't advertise is that the settee is in fact a bed settee and can be made up as an extra bed if different sleeping arrangements are needed for six people.

We don't advertise the bed settee as we don't want more than six people in the cottage, but this seems to work well and may be one for you to consider if you have the space.
rich_sipe

Post by rich_sipe »

We have 3 bedrooms and have this setup:

Master = 1 king
2nd Bedroom = 1 queen
3rd Bedroom = 1 twin over full bunkbed
Loft = 1 queen sleeper sofa

We went for the twin over full bunkbed because this way a couple can sleep on the bottom bunk no problem and/or kinds can use it. For us it is the perfect compromise.
kismet

Post by kismet »

Thanks everyone - sorry, been a bit busy. Yes , all good stuff. At least one twin/zip n link option is a bit of a "no brainer" isn't it. Cheers.
kismet

The Final Answer!

Post by kismet »

In the end we decided to stay with 3 x good doubles, but in one room included a good quality "day bed", as suggested by Christine. This gives the flexibility we were after - we couldn't find any zip-n-links that we could get up the stairs! Cheers all.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Thanks for keeping us updated -- I hope you'll let us know how the guests respond to it!

Cheers,
-Brooke
Brooke