How do scams work

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Billywiz

How do scams work

Post by Billywiz »

Hello everyone, I have read many of the posts on the subject but cannot understand how a scam works. If someone makes an enquiry and wishes to book and sends a payment how are they able to scam you into parting with bank details or cash, forgive me if I am a little naive on the subject, it may be that the answer is so simple it evades me.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Billywiz, the usual way is to send you a cheque which is for an amount which far exceeds the cost of the rent. They will then either ask you to pay for other services with the remainder, or refund it, either to themsevles or their business partner via Wetern Union. The heque bounces, the Wu transfer is cashed.............
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

Thank you for enlightening me Helen. Seems pretty straight forward, bank the money and wait for funds to clear before authorising refunds or transfers.
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Ahhh - but that is the problem. When does the cheque actually clear. 3 days, or 2 weeks, or 3 months, or ever?

From memory, if it is stolen, it can returned at any point in the future.

There may be some overall time limit, but I do not know what it is.

Robert
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

bank the money and wait for funds to clear

Billiwiz

Sounds simple in practice, but you might like to try pinning your bank down on what is a safe clearance time - depends on what you are dealing with of course - you may be surprised. Many of these scammers carefully time their bookings at short notice.

MG
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

MG - Snap, I win 8)
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

In the early days of renting we didn't cash security deposit cheques (very naive then)

One family caused a lot of damage, I banked the cheque on the day they left the villa. My bank told me four days later it had cleared. I then emailed them to say I was keeping some money back, and would return the remainder. Two days later found they had cancelled their deposit cheque. Rang my bank, they said sorry, it was cancelled the next day after they had told me it had cleared. They agreed to waive my charges, but how can my bank tell me a cheque has cleared and then the next day say it has been cancelled?

Needless to say, I always bank deposit cheques now and insist on them at the same time as the balance is due, eight weeks before the holiday.

Ruth
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

I understand that in the case of fraudulent activity it can actually be returned up to 2 YEARS after it's cleared!
ttp

Post by ttp »

You could attend this years conference.

Details of a previous conference can be found here
Regards

Nick Thompson

http://www.gite-in-brittany.co.uk
debk

Post by debk »

* The actual schedule of events and participants depends on various trial outcomes and extradition hearings.
:lol: :lol: :lol: