giving a music CD to guests

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
willemijn

giving a music CD to guests

Post by willemijn »

was thinking maybe to make a CD of some less known italian music and give my guests a copy, as a reminder.
Problem is that I think I am not allowed to just do this by law, because I probably will have to pay the rights.
Any thoughts about this?
Willemijn Lindeboom
www.villainumbria.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Willemijn,

If you were in the UK and you wanted to remain strictly legal you would need to obtain permission from the Performing Rights Society and pay them a small fee for each copy you made. The law is similar in most other countries.

Alan
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I bought loads of cd's for lettings for 1euro each(Carrefour) - mostly classical but also French popular classics like Piaf: at this price you needn't break the law & it is effortless (apart from queueing at the cash desk). I leave them for the tenants' use but you could give them away .....
Best,
Alexia.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

ps Co-op, Standa and Upim have similar deals in Italy.
Best,
Alexia.
willemijn

Post by willemijn »

now, I thought probably one needed to pay, butthe next question is ... who would find out? I sometimes copy some music on a CD and give it to a friend. Is that also not allowed?
Willemijn Lindeboom
www.villainumbria.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Yep, I believe that is also not allowed.

As to who would find out? Well, no one, probably...

...but the real question (for me) is, what would happen if they did?
Brooke
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

It's a lovely thought, Willemijn. But if you are worried about the legal nicieties, is it easier to give guests some local produce such as wine or cheese to take home? It won't last as long, but the thought is still there.
willemijn

Post by willemijn »

have set the idea aside, too complicated and I don't think it is nice to give guests something which is officially not allowed. That does not give a excellent impression.
Thanks for the feedback.
Willemijn Lindeboom
www.villainumbria.com
jimadept

Post by jimadept »

There was a long discussion recently about copying DVDs, I don't see any difference between the two ethically. However, if it is something you are giving your guests rather than simply leaving in the property for them to use, I personally would not give a copied CD, a) to avoid any legal hassle or negative thoughts on the part of the guests and b) because it looks amateurish. There are plenty of ultra-cheap CDs around, they even put them in greetings cards these days, so I would shop around and find something affordable that way. Even if it costs you £5 - 10 a throw, if it tips the scales and turns one one-time guest into a repeater, it's worth every penny. I'm planning to give my guests a welcome package including a map and a guide book, maybe I'll throw in a CD of local music as well.

cheers, Jim
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Jim,
There was a long discussion recently about copying DVDs, I don't see any difference between the two ethically.
There isn't any difference! Making a copy of a CD or a DVD for your own use is OK under most régimes. I regard lending the original or the copy in the same light - its OK.

Paolo,

Looking back on the thread that Jim points us to I find that the postings have been very heavily edited. Things like "DVD's" have been deleted. I assume it has been done by your goodself. Is this a deliberate policy you have adopted? I understand you dont want links to "bad" sites but is this not a little heavy handed?

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Alan Knighting wrote:Looking back on the thread that Jim points us to I find that the postings have been very heavily edited. Things like "DVD's" have been deleted. I assume it has been done by your goodself. Is this a deliberate policy you have adopted? I understand you dont want links to "bad" sites but is this not a little heavy handed?
Not guilty!

Jim has done a search for the word 'DVD' to find that thread. When you do that, the word you searched on is unhelpfully highlighted in white, rendering it invisible. Jim then copied the url and used that in his link, but the url is for the thread with the highlighted words. So when you click on Jim's link you see the thread with blanks instead of the word 'DVD'.

This is the thread:
viewtopic.php?t=592

and this is Jim's link to it:
viewtopic.php?t=592&highlight=dvd

You can see at the end of his there is the offending bit of the link.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

This begs the question...

...can the highlight color be changed?

I was very confused the first time I did a search! :)
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Strangly enough if you select the blanks, the missing text comes up in blue.
jaylene

Post by jaylene »

copying music for some kind of advertisement purposes in certainly illegal and you wouldn't want that bad image as well so it is better that you go for the safe side and buy those cheap compilation cd that are sold on music stores on sale though they may not have famous artists, if you go for the instrumental music which you can get really good ones that are easy on the ears.You may opt to buy them in bulk or select classics and instrumental music cds so that there can also be a variation in your give-away for the guests.