need to update our 6y. old website - any suggestions please

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
fincafern

need to update our 6y. old website - any suggestions please

Post by fincafern »

We have a professionally designed and photographed site, but it has been pointed out that we could improve on it- it was made 6- 7 years ago. See thread on (should we expand) in the members section.
We have taken the points on board and have a professional web desigenr lined up to make the changes this Friday, and are currently revamping and redecorating as I write.
We are going to try to pitch ( heh! ) at the golf interest ( we are next door to Lauro and bought the place with this in mind) and sell the typical Andaluz aspect and rural bit and include our gardens , mandarin groves and ponds, etc.,
Would be grateful for all your comments - the two lounge video shots are coming off, because the lounges have been redecorated ages ago- so ignore them - I know they look awful.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

I've just realised this may be too late if your guy started revamping friday...

I think the site is lovely as is the property. Great pix! I'm not sure how much you need to change, unless the furnishings have changed, perhaps?

You mentioned in the other thread that you wanted to appeal more to golfers so perhaps an extra page about all the local golfing facilities?

One thing I found confusing - the tab for your Availability calendars says "comments". I only clicked on it because I wasn't sure what it was going to be. I think it should be clearer that it's a link to your calendar page.

Best of luck with the makeover!
Lounging on the lily pad...
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Thanks for your kind response, Greenfrog.
We tried to change the header comments to availability ourselves, but the original was so complicated with overlays, we couldn't do it, so the maestro will attempt to do so for us. The revamp is delayed by a professional photoshoot.
We have also completely redecorated and furnished since the website was constructed so I guess the new photos will help and we need a whole page on golf as you say, since they have built more courses, whilst we have been here. Guests seem to be more demanding each year - first it was requests for satellite TV, then cots, next broadband, now I get dishwasher requests, so we will include those too and keep our fingers crossed.
fibi

Post by fibi »

Just had a look today (in between changeover hell!) and your site is very good - love the pictures of the bar and outside area. I like the chattiness of the site too - I would be reaching for the availability chart if I did not see the virtual picture of the lounge, this would put me off - sorry :oops:

I think in a previous post you said that you have updated all the furniture, if you put these new pictures in I think you will have bookings flooding in. Good luck
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi again,

Prompted by fibi's comment, I had a look at the virtual tour. I don't know if this is something that is determined by the viewer's browser / computer but it was incredibly slow. It took several seconds before the first chair in the living room came into view and I just gave up on that page then because it was taking far too long to show me the room.

If this is something you set at your end, I would suggest you speed it up a bit. I think prospective guests want a quick glance; it's not til they've put your place on their shortlist that they'll spend time looking at photos in greater detail.

Your pool looks gorgeous and you're right to have it on the homepage. I think you might benefit from changing the order of the pix on the homepage. I would suggest you move the pool left to place number 1. I think I'd move your first photo (villas in springtime) down to place no. 3 and bring up that photo (two adjacent villas) to place no. 2 (where pool is now) because it looks very inviting. Just a thought.
Lounging on the lily pad...
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Thanks Fibi and greenfrog,
I asked our webdesigner to cut the lounges out 2 weeks ago and your comment propmpted me to ask him again double quick because we agree entirely with you.
Our lounges really do look a whole lot better than that and have done for years, so its our own stupid fault any way.
I think he has nearly finished the updated site.
I have just realised the only bookings I do have are from rental sites not involving our website so that tells me something ! Duh !!
fibi

Post by fibi »

Great, glad you are changing those photos - they reminded me of a home for the aged!

Some more points, the large photo of the bar you have on the location page is fab- that alone would encourage me to book! However I couldn't find any explanation of how the bar works - you've got to sell it!! Its on the location page with no description, even the title on the photo doesn't describe it.

An example...

" Enjoy our fantastic bar after a busy days sightseeing or take a break from the pool area in the midday heat. Probably better equipped than your local, the bar sits 30 comfortably and is shaded, with music and a television to watch the football!

Fully stocked with every drink you could want, stick to your usual or try one of our cocktails. Open every evening from 6 to 8pm, first drink is on us the rest at low prices...or enjoy our bar in complete privacy, let one of your group enjoy being the bartender for the evening, drinks paid for at cost at the end of your stay - let us worry about the supermarket beer runs while you relax! Join us on your first evening for free homemade tapas and we'll share with you our knowledge of the area, including all the best places to shop and eat!"
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

I don't think the site design is too much of a problem.

But, it is only google page rank 1 for the index page.

Equally, a search for "villa for rent in malaga, andalucia" (your index page title) produces nothing.

You need to work hard on search engine optimisation, if you wish to get organic search visitors ?

Make sure that your rewrite man has good google search engine optimisation skills.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com