shengen visa

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
domino

shengen visa

Post by domino »

A client who has paid me in full for his gite rental (with one cheque) is now asking me to provide a letter confirming that one of his party has paid their share of the rental/and will be staying in my gite.
I can't help but think the 'lead' name client would be the best person to confirm this but they are insisting that I have to do it.

He says the person concerned needs this from me so that he can get his 'shengen visa'.
I've never been asked for this before and am a bit wary.
Does anyone have any advice or experience of same?
Thanks in advance
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

hi Domino

I haven't had experience of this but here's a link that explains more; http://www.eurovisa.info/SchengenCountries.htm

perhaps they have to show that they have accommodation booked and perhaps provide that address (I think people travelling on visas sometimes have to do the same to show that they're not going to disappear)
If that's the case then you as the property owner/renter would probably have to confirm your property exists and you have a booking for the guest named.

Perhaps someone has direct experience and can advise proper.

Welcome to LMH by the way!

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
kteee

Post by kteee »

I had to do this once for a (I think) South African client coming to Portugal - I think it is just to confirm that they are coming on holiday and have booked accommodation for specific dates.
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

Be careful, as i am sure i have read of a scam in this matter, they pay by cheque the full price request confirmation , then come back and cancel saying the guest cant get the visa and ask for a refund less the deposit, of course the cheque is no good, but some banks dont pick on this for a number of weeks
Nessie
Fil

Post by Fil »

You only have to provide a receipt and only when you get the money and only in the name of the person who payed.

Very strange situation.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

I agree with fil that you should provide a receipt in the name of the person who actually paid you.

If that person has provided you with an e-mail detailing the names of all of those who will be using the property, you could include that to show that, as far as you know, the person looking for a visa is included in a paid-for holiday. That covers you in the event that this person does try to overstay his or her welcome in the country. It's probably perfectly genuine but you should cover yourself, juest in case.
Lounging on the lily pad...
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Out of interest, what country are they from?

Sounds a bit strange to me, have you cashed the cheque?

:?
Ju

Post by Ju »

Not strange at all. We had to do it once for an english family who had a romanian nanny. The letter needs to come from the accomodation not from the person booking.

We sent a note confirming that the property had been booked in the name of X (lead person) and that to our knowledge the nanny would be part of the group. That did the trick and she got her visa.
paolo

Post by paolo »

This is a requirement for South African renters. They need some paperwork to show where they are staying, in order to get a visa. This has varied from an email, to a receipt, to a letter. It is also true of Ethiopian renters, of whom I am hopefully to get my first shortly.

I don't know if it is called a shengen visa though.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Fil

Post by Fil »

Shengen Visa is the authorization to get into the European Union through any one its countries.

I understand the point and believe a letter saying "Mr. X has made a reservation and informed that Y is travelling with him" would be ok.
domino

shengen visa

Post by domino »

One of the party is south african (living in UK).
It sounds like they have to provide copious amounts of paperwork for their trip. They say the rules have changed recently and that there are a limited number of visas available . The whole thing sounds pretty stressful.
Thank you forum users, I can now provide the client with a carefully worded letter .
Im sure this entry will be of use to other gite owners in the fullness of time.