Stomp Rocket: pull the plug?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Jimbo

Stomp Rocket: pull the plug?

Post by Jimbo »

A Stomp Rocket is a simple device consisting of a rubber bulb, a plastic tube and a set of plastic rockets. You put a rocket on the tube, stomp on the bulb and the rocket flies high into the air. A few weeks back, a family with young children bought a SR, had great fun with it and kindly left it behind for other guests. The SR has been an immediate success with everybody, it sounds simple but adults and kids play together for hours. The soft plop of the rockets leaving the launch pad has become such a familiar sound that even the dogs have stopped reacting to it. I can't recall such an inexpensive toy producing such fun for everybody - even I have a secret 'go' sometimes when I'm checking the pool early morning.

But here's the thing - the rockets leave the pad with such force that it has to be potentially dangerous. If our gites were a construction site, the launch area would be cordoned off, only trained operatives could use the device and everybody would have to wear hard hats and eye protection. We've settled for gently pointing out the hazards to parents and leaving them to supervise their kids.

What would you do? Take the SR away - or recognise that everything is inherently dangerous in some way and let our guests enjoy themselves. Without wishing to re-ignite the '20-something' debate, I did hide the SR from a set of young guests last week because I wasn't sure they would use it responsibly.

This is it: http://www.stomprocket.com/index.shtml Our version doesn't have soft nosecones - maybe only for the US market?

Jim
Ju

Post by Ju »

I want one!!

Out of interest do you put notices on your trees saying they are potentially dangerous if you climb them and then fall out? If you have swings do you fence off the area around and ensure there is only ever one child inside the enclosure?

There are so many hazardous things in the world, but alot of them are also good fun!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

we've had these before and they are GREAT fun!

I remember a holiday in France about 5 years ago when we were using it on the beach, and a crowd of onlookers gathered because they'd never seen one before.

In the end we had a queue of children lining up to take a turn. Great fun was had by all.
fibi

Post by fibi »

Just ordered one for us - sounds fun! So I guess my vote is to leave it and let everyone enjoy themselves playing with it!
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
Glenos

Rocket

Post by Glenos »

What would happen if a kid copped one of these "rockets" in the eye, and the parents decided to sue the property owner because it was left out for people to use. Would they have a case do you think?
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi Glenos,

I have never been able to understand what an owner can be held responsible for.

If a guest cuts their finger off whilst using one of my sharp knives provided, am I responsible?

If a child slips around the wet pool area and breaks his neck, am I responsible?

Is it all about them proving negligence on the owners part?

I'm sure someone can give us the 'legal' explanation, I have often tried to read up on it, but all the info seems contradictory.

Ruth
Glenos

rockets n stuff

Post by Glenos »

Hi Kipz :D
Yes I too, would love to hear the "legal" side of this one as I hear that a fairly prominant villa company in the Med are putting greater emphasis on safety this year and even more so next year. So liability for them, and I presume for us as independents, is something that is going to figure much more than at present. All we need is some poor bugger to get sued for something "trivial", then a whole can of worms will be opened.
I think it's a case of when, not if.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

You're right, Glenos, it's a real worry. I was going to put one of those ball on a pole things on the terrace, but I thought what if it swings round and hits some child on the eye. Is it my fault?

Also, we're on the fifth floor, and have a large terrace with sort of nooks on it where you can't see everything that's happening. If a child clambers on to the edge and falls off (oh, god forbid, the very thought) is it my fault? Should I say unsuitable for children?

It does only take one case to set a precedent. For the last 20+ years I worked in Further and Higher Education, and the first student to successfully sue on account of inadequate course support sent shock waves through both sectors.

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'