Fungal staining on smart sunloungers

For anything to do with the garden and pool
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Ju wrote: Teak are definately NOT unbreakable. We go through three or four a year. It depends on the style I think. the "steamer" type seem to be more prone to beakages than the "flat bed" type, so we are slowly changing over to the later.
Yes, I've had a couple of steamers break, but no flat beds (yet). The steamers are also far more unpopular with the guests, it is always the flatbeds that get occupied first (you can lie on your front) so I'm not bothering with steamers in the future.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yes, I've had a couple of steamers break, but no flat beds (yet).
well thats given me a bit of hope back LV!
The steamers I have were free from my next door neighbour (when he sold) so I can afford for those to go sooner or later.

Ah - the science of getting a suntan...making sure you had as few white-bits as possible :D I think I can vaguely remember :)

Hopefully in a similar vein...has anyone had those very large beanbag things which can be used as a sunbed (if its laid flat out) or for sitting in?
The material (I'm told by the shop) is cleanable (it's waterproof naturally!) but I wondered about mildew (they couldn't confirm - tho' the material is man-made...like a sort of polypropalene stuff).
They're very comfortable to lie on, can be dragged around easily, seem to be robust and can be turned into a 'chair'...think kids might love them. So I was thinking of getting a couple to save me buying 2 more flatbeds as they're half the price (but not if they can stain)

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm resurrecting this thread because I have a question on the mattresses for the teak flatbed sun loungers.....has anyone got any tips for getting them clean??

I've asked guests (like you do) to use towels, but each week I'm desperately scrubbing the mattresses trying to remove stains. :(
To be honest this is time I can ill afford on a changeover - so I wondered if there was any miracle answer

Or does everyone just accept that they will get more and more stained as the season goes on?
This is the first year I've had them...so will I have to replace them each year?

Edit; forgot to say that the material is like a manmade, stripey, slightly shiney fabric

mouse (with sore hands through scrubbing :( )
x
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Mousie,
I wouldn't bother cleaning them - this is my 4th year of my current mattresses and they are all looking slightly faded now, but they don't smell and they do the job they are supposed to. Most people put towels over them to lie on, so I suppose the towels absorb the stains. They are too expensive to replace annually (IMHO)
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Mousie have you tried the Vanish spray stain remover or even the Bio Shout spray? I've tried both on material and they seem to shift stains. The only other solution is to get the mattresses recovered in a print material which doesn't show stains so easily rather than buying a new set for next year.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Thanks LV & BP....I suppose I'm remebering the nice new stain-free mattresses I put out 3 wks ago and now seeing the stained, faded and tawdry appearance of some of them and worrying guests will think - urgh!

But it sounds like guests might not mind? They don't smell as you say LV...it's just the mucky bit where peoples feet go that concerns me....and yes I agree - they're too expensive to keep replacing.

I'll give the BIO Shout spray a whirl BP (as I have some of that) to see if it can take the edge of them. Didn't know they had a vanish spray! I'll take a look in our supermarket for it.

I had actually thought of getting towelling covers made for them next year....then I can just whip them off and wash them if the worst came to the worst. This material they're made of seems to absorb stains, yet its manmade.

thanks both

Mouse (who's probably worrying unnecessarily about what guests might think)
x