Damage - What is reasonable to ask guest to pay?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Jules

Damage - What is reasonable to ask guest to pay?

Post by Jules »

We have guests this week who have informed me that their one year old son, who they admit to having left alone in the living room whilst they had dinner, had knocked a lamp over. This had gone unnoticed for a long enough period to have burnt a hole in the carpet the size of a cricket ball, through the carpet and through the underlay. The hole is very obvious, ugly and almost in the middle of the room. The carpet was also knew this year. My insurance company have an excess of £250. I have cashed the guest's damages deposit of £100. Whilst we are waiting for the new carpet to be fitted, I have also had to buy a rug to cover the hole (£40). Do you think it is reasonable to ask them to pay for the rug and the difference between my insurance excess and the damages deposit, which equates to £190? Any thoughts gratefully received.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Jules,

My response? Always assuming that your insurance company pays up, you keep the damages deposit and they pay you £150 if they get to keep the rug or £190 if you get to keep it.

A one year old left in the living room while they had dinner? They should also have to watch some of the Madeleine clips in the hope that they might become more responsible parents.

Alan
Fil

Post by Fil »

Yes, I think it is reasonable.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

How irresponsible of them. I can't believe anyone would leave a year old baby to their own devices - and it must have been for quite a long period to burn a hole through the carpet to the underlay!

I would try to get the most out of them that you can and would not let them have the rug! It will cost you time and your insurance may well go up next year because of this :x

Alison
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I think it's reasonable for you to keep the £100 damage deposit and if the guests are still there then I would request that they pay for the rug too. If they have already left then I can't see them sending you the £40 for the rug.

I'd think twice about claiming the damages via the insurance company for such a small amount as I agree with Ali ....your premium will go up next year.
Jules

Post by Jules »

Thanks for advice. I involved our insurance company because I suspected the carpet couldn't be patched. The insurance assessor has been and has said the whole carpet would have to be replaced. As it is a barn conversion the lounge is large 25ft by 15ft and would have cost us over £700.

These guests are still staying and leave this coming Friday. Since then they have informed me that the errant one year old has now jammed the sky card in the digibox!!!!! More expense!
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

Charge them the full whack and remind them as you are doing so, how fortunate they are that it was the carpet that go first degree burns and not the one year old!!
Fil

Post by Fil »

Do not let them leave without paying the damage !
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Jules

are you sure you want them there until Friday? I think I'd feel inclined to ask them to leave, it looks like they are not interested in controlling their baby and can't be trusted to look after your home.

Not only would I want to keep their DD I would also want to claim the outstanding amount you have to pay to the insurance company plus damage to your digibox through the small claims court!

There are accidents and "accidents" if you know what I mean and it sounds like these people are really not concerned about their behaviour in someone else's property.

Alison