Laptop keyboard problem

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
la vache!

Laptop keyboard problem

Post by la vache! »

I have a key that keeps sticking on my laptop and I'm not sre what to do - can yo take off the key easily to sort ot the problem (gess which key it is.....)
ttp

Re: Laptop keyboard problem

Post by ttp »

La Vache wrote:Ican yo take off the key easily to sort ot the problem (gess which key it is.....)
Possibly, the key cap is just pushed on during assembly & most of the ones I have seen will lift off but I have seen some where the cap is held on with a barb which breaks (VERY carefully applied superglue normally fixes it).

If you do try to lift one off, make sure you lift it off squarely & don't use adjacent keys as a lever.

Regards

Nick Thompson
www.breton-networks.com
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Is it the 'U' by any chance LV? :lol: Do I get a prize?

Ruth
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Did yo manage to sort it ot Ssan? :D
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

I had this problem a while ago. It started with one key, and then spread :( I thought it was the keyboard membrane on the way out (as this lappie is a tad long in the tooth) but when I took it out to replace it I discovered that it was actually the ribbon connector that had worked loose :)

If it really is just one key, it could be something grotty underneath it, but I would try a can of compressed air first rather than taking the key off.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Apparently keyboards are pretty hardy instruments. A friend of mine who worked at an observatory frequently had to clean the keyboards of dust. She and her colleagues used to use cans of compressed air, but it's quite tedious to do this for dozens of keyboards at a time. Eventually their routine evolved: they would just unplug the keyboards, take them outside and hose them down -- :!: -- and then wait 24-48 hours for them to dry completely before plugging them back in. She said that it was a better cleaning method than anything and as long as you give them plenty of time to dry (they were in the desert), they won't short out when you plug them back in.

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but then again, if it's a sticky food dripping that's causing your issue, you never know! :)
Brooke
enid

Post by enid »

Well I spilled a glass of red wine on mine and even though it's dried out it still won't work :wink:
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Probably the sugar Enid, have a go at the power washing :lol:

Ruth
enid

Post by enid »

You're right Ruth - it can't do any harm to try. Thanks for not telling me off for having the wine anywhere near my keyboard :oops:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Enid Said..
You're right Ruth - it can't do any harm to try. Thanks for not telling me off for having the wine anywhere near my keyboard
Thought that was obligatory :!:
...in fact I think they should have one of those cup holder thingies on the side of every computer like they do in cars
[wine glass shaped of course :roll: :wink: ]