The tales behind the holidays

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

La Vache wrote: I hope they have a lovely holiday and it helps them get over their loss.
I cannot begin to imagine the pain of losing an unborn child, but if a holiday can in any small way alleviate the sorrow, then I'm so glad to be in this business.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I cannot begin to imagine the pain of losing an unborn child, but if a holiday can in any small way alleviate the sorrow, then I'm so glad to be in this business.
Me neither Richard :( :( lovely comments.. :wink:
Susan will be great in this situation Im sure......She has a real warmth...
Sometimes when things like this happen its nice to speak to people who arent family and friends just to say how you really feel......bit like on here I spose....
When things are soo sad that you know your not using the right words in the right way but it doesnt matter..you wont be judged..
much of the time youre really only talking to yourself..and when you start listening ...you know its working.... :)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Big Sis.. wrote:
Sometimes when things like this happen its nice to speak to people who arent family and friends just to say how you really feel......bit like on here I spose....
It's funny you should say that, when she told me I asked her if she had ever used the SANDS (Stillbirth and Neonatal Death society) forum, she hadn't, but when she wrote to me yesterday she had (and was still) using it and it has been helping her an awful lot. A friend of mine had used it and found it very helpful to be able to pour out her feelings to people who had suffered in a similar way, rather than to family and friends, who although wonderful, couldn't begin to imagine how it felt to lose a child like that).
It is far more superficial subject, of course,I'm the same with LMH - I can't bend the ear of my family and friends all the time about little niggles regarding holiday rentals, but I can here!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thats what I meant Sue. :) ..

When Ive had really bad upsets in the past I didnt always want to burden my family with them..
also if they were involved didnt want to add to the hurt they were feeling.....
You also seem to have a commonsense approach to things as well as the mothering soft side which I think will help as well...
Im sure the holiday will be great therapy.......
We all should count our blessings for our children I know I do... :wink:
I can't bend the ear of my family and friends all the time about little niggles regarding holiday rentals, but I can here!
Bend away Susan Im all ears :wink: :) ...
well not literally cos things round here would be a lot quieter if I was :roll: :)
brenda

Post by brenda »

Not such sad tales as all of yours - but still one that left us with a nice glow:-

Recently had a weeks booking from a German family who, when I confirmed availability, put on their second email that her son was severely autistic.

When they arrived they told me that they had enquired at numerous places all who said they had availability but were suddenly ´fully booked´when they heard about the lads disability.

They dined with us each evening - along with the couple in our other room - and all had a ball. At the end of their stay both parents were in tears as they said they could tell how much their son had benefitted from the break and how they loved being involved with us and the other guests; they really had come to think they would only be accepted at disabled accommodation.

It was our pleasure to have such a loving family here, the other couple said it had made them feel so lucky that their grown up children were all healthy and firm friendships were made.

We consider ourselves lucky to be able to meet and get to know such great people.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Oh Brenda what a great story Lovely start to the day :!: [/quote]It was our pleasure to have such a loving family here, the other couple said it had made them feel so lucky that their grown up children were all healthy and firm friendships were made.

We consider ourselves lucky to be able to meet and get to know such great people.[quote]

That says so much about you and the other couple of course :wink: :D ....and wasnt it lucky that the other places were 'booked' cos if not they wouldnt have come to yours and what a loss that would have been :roll: Firm friendships Im sure and Im sure the positive energy that was being felt had a great effect on their son :!: ...It was Meant to be :D ........

[quote]We consider ourselves lucky to be able to meet and get to know such great people.][quote]

Im sure they feel the same as well Brenda Good On Yer :!:

All you Owners on here have such BIG hearts its just lovely to see.....and you dont even know how special you are :wink: ..Its just so great to be amongst you :) :wink:
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

That was lovely Brenda. You made a difference ! :lol: Sort of makes you feel humble too doesn't it? See- lots of lovely people around, :lol:
J&J

Post by J&J »

It seems unfair to turn someone away just because they have a disability, but I guess forewarned is forearmed. Brenda, you must have provided just the environment the family needed for their holiday.
I am not trying to make light of disorders, but last year my husband worried me sick for months with a phone booking he had taken where the teenage son had an ASBO. You can imagine how often I practised my teacher's glare for some weeks before the teenager came to stay.
When the family finally arrived it turned out James had misheard and the child had Asperges. Phew! He was no trouble at all and just spent hours swimming round the pool having a lovely time talking to himself!

Judith
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I had a family a few years ago who brought their foster children (teenagers) with them. The kids themselves were no trouble (drug addicts) but the house iteslf was left in a dreadful state at the end. The foster parents told us how much they got paid and believe you me they didn't need to go out to work. I'm not going to make sweeping statements, but it seems that sometimes the money people make out of fostering (especially when it is older 'problem' children) is a lot and doesn't always go in the right direction.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Oh I can back that up LV - I know (through relatives, they're next door neighbours) of a couple who do fostering only for the money they can make. And by all accounts the kids are not that well looked after. My relatives are disgusted that their 'lack of care' (in their eyes of course) seems to go unnoticed by the authorities.

How lovely Brenda...you're obviously wonderful hosts...and very much appreciated by these guests :D

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Brenda said
Recently had a weeks booking from a German family who, when I confirmed availability, put on their second email that her son was severely autistic.

When they arrived they told me that they had enquired at numerous places all who said they had availability but were suddenly ´fully booked´when they heard about the lads disability.
I think that's so sad to turn a booking away because of someone's disability. :cry:

As I found out when I accepted a booking with an autistic child, the parents themselves need the holiday to re-charge their batteries.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I think that's so sad to turn a booking away because of someone's disability.

As I found out when I accepted a booking with an autistic child, the parents themselves need the holiday to re-charge their batteries
Too true Crystal... :wink: :roll: :(