wi-fi access

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
fibi

wi-fi access

Post by fibi »

I have BT wi-fi with numerous boosters and copiers around my house and outside. We can get perfect wi-fi from all rooms in our house the garden and our two cottages but some guests laptops can't pick up the signal. About 50% can. Any suggestions to make it 100%.
BTW anyone who is interested wifi is our most popular service - we don't charge.
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

hmmm...do the gusets have wi-fi enabled computers and it doesn't work? -I know nothig about it BTW ;-) just finally got a laptop myself that I can use wireless...my old one didn't have the thingy to pick up any signal....nothing to do with the signal strength or anything...just old and not wi-fa ready :-)

BTW, my entire town here in the US has free Wi-Fi :-) so you can use your computer anywhere...just CROSSING my fingers that any sort of wi-fi actually makes it to Italy sometime!! Getting any internet service is still iffy there!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Musetta wrote:BTW, my entire town here in the US has free Wi-Fi :-)
Excuse me for asking a stupid question, but does this mean that individuals don't have to subscribe to a broadband service in their homes? If so, WOW!
ttp

Re: wi-fi access

Post by ttp »

fibi wrote:but some guests laptops can't pick up the signal. About 50% can. Any suggestions to make it 100%.
Can they not pick the signal up or can they not connect to it ?

If they can't pick the signal up, it could be because they have a 802.11b adapter in their computer & your access points are set to 802.11g, you can set most (all that I have seen) to broadcast on both b & g so check that the access points as set to both.

If they can see the signal but not connect it could be a number of things:

You have security set (unlikely if some can connect).

Their computer is set for a fixed IP & Subnet address, make sure only one of your access points is set as a DCHP server & your guests have 'obtain IP address automatically' & obtain DNS server automatically' are checked in the Network Connections properties.
Regards

Nick Thompson

http://www.gite-in-brittany.co.uk