Exclusive Holidays magazine and www.villafinder.com

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Normandy Cow

Exclusive Holidays magazine and www.villafinder.com

Post by Normandy Cow »

I have received a phone call from someone trying to persuade me to advertise in a magazine called "Exclusive Holidays".
For the special introductory price of £200 (It's normally £550) my advert would feature in the magazine for a whole year (4 issues), as well as being on their website villafinder.com for a year as well.

I had never heard of either of these, but it does sound like a good deal. Apparently the magazine has a circulation of 25,000 and is sold in Smiths, Waitrose etc.

Does anyone else have any experience of this publication? My house is in Normandy, but the magazine/website covers properties worldwide.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I'm not a big fan of unsolicited sales calls, so I wouldn't be likely to give them any money at all.

But, if I were tempted, I'd do exactly what you're doing... what does their website look like and how does it rank for web searches? Do you have friends who live near the stores you mentioned and would be willing to go look for the magazine?

If the sales guy called back I'd also request that he send me a couple of issues of the magazine gratis, so I could see what I'd be advertising in.

All in all, though, 25,000 is peanuts compared to the exposure you get over the internet on a rental listing site like H-R or FC or others, for less than £200.
Brooke
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

They must have been busy the other day because I had a phone call too!! Recieved the catalogue today,best price I can see is £275 + vat for a year. Catalogue is very glossy and quite nice but I don't know enough about advertising in mags, I mean where does one get the info from as to how good a magazine is?? Think I will leave it for now!! If you want to see the magazine (did he not offer to send you one?) i have a number you can ring if you would like it
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

I had this phone call too. They just asked me if I would like to see a copy of the magazine free of charge and then if I liked it to contact them if I would like to advertise. My telephone contact was a woman though.
Always Learning
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Thanks for your replies.

Firstly, I got the website address wrong in my original message, it is thevillafinder.com, just in case anyone followed the link.

Secondly, I have since contacted 4 of the properties in Normandy that are listed on the website, and only one of them had ever had a booking from the magazine or website, and that was 2 years ago. So I think I'll give it a miss.....
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Thanks for that Catherine, thats interesting feedback
sue c

Post by sue c »

I advertised with Exclusive Holidays in 2002 and had no enquiries. However, I also had a call from them recently asking if I'd like to advertise - perhaps their record-keeping could be better. I have seen the publication somewhere recently (possibly WH Smiths?).

The mag I use is Holiday Villas which has a related website. I think a third of my bookings come from this. (Although I only ever have bookings for school holidays and a few June/July and September) - so a third of my bookings is not a high number!
paolo

Post by paolo »

I have seen the Exclusive Holidays magazine for sale in England, and I have had the sales call from these people (I think the whole world has!) There is a difference between a magazine's circulation and its readership. 25,000 is likely to be the number printed, not the number sold.

For 200 pounds I would get me some 24/7 internet marketing rather than a 4 x yearly magazine.
Paolo
Lay My Hat