Best Digital Camera for Full room shots..

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

The price on digital SLRs is finally starting to come down to (almost) reasonable levels. I picked up the Pentax K-100D from Jessops for £299, which comes with an 18-55 lens as standard - it was one of the Best Buys in the Which June report, although it has fallen outside that category in their latest review.

I'm still at the 'playing' stage, but the results I'm getting are pretty impressive so far, it's nice to get back to some 'proper' photography after several years of point & shoot! :)
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

right, having spent ages working out what photos I want to take when we're over in Gozo and how to maximise impact without misrepresenting (!) I've managed to borrow a Canon EOS 400D. Not certain which lens it is but the options seem to be 17mm or 18mm so that should be ok :)

The chap who owns the camera can't find the disk with the photo stitching software on. Is there a kind soul out there who might be able to burn me a copy?

TIA :D
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

yep I had a look there first MG, but they all say "updater" which I took to mean that you needed the original version to update from?

Maybe I've got it wrong tho... :oops:

off to fiddle!

:((

Installation Information
In order to update to the latest version:
- A previous version of Photostitch 2.x/3.x is required.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I could have a go at doing it tp if it's the same as mine. Don't know if all Canons use the same software, mine is called Zoombrowser XE - could you find out if it's the same as his? The alternative is to download them onto his pc and stitch them from there.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

thanks Kathy, but i've JUST found a copy on Ebay for 99p ;)
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

... we find the results 'too' good … in real life a meerkat could hardly squeeze in to stand up vertical - it is seriously minute ...
Estate agents have the same problem.
When we were selling the smaller of our two properties in the UK, prior to moving to France, the estate agent's photographs (especially the interiors of the smaller rooms) were appalling and did no justice to a pretty cottage. We gave the agent a set of professional quality photos to use and this miffed him so he countered by refusing to put them onto his website without adding a warning - 'some interiors have been taken on an extreme wide-angle lens'. His argument was that it was better for potential purchasers to be 'underwhelmed' by mediocre pictures and then excited when they saw the real thing rather than 'overwhelmed' and disappointed. Which was a different take, I suppose, even if - followed to its logical conclusion - it would knock the best efforts of the international advertising industry clean out of the water.
which comes with an 18-55 lens
I'm one of those dinosaurs who can only understand lens coverage if it relates to what were '35mm standards'. In 35mm terms, 18mm is very wide but on a digital camera without a full-frame sensor and a 1.6 factor, it's around 29mm in reality and fairly modest. On a digital camera with a full-frame sensor, 18mm is still 18mm and wonderfully wide. Confusing huh?

Jim
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

well I'm confused :roll: :oops:

but i have bought a tripod and one of those goey round things for panorama shots today :D
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Jimbo wrote:..I'm one of those dinosaurs who can only understand lens coverage if it relates to what were '35mm standards'. ..
Me too, Jim !

Does that mean that digital X 1.6 = old 35mm standard ?
Or is it more complicated than that ?
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

Jimbo wrote: His argument was that it was better for potential purchasers to be 'underwhelmed' by mediocre pictures and then excited when they saw the real thing rather than 'overwhelmed' and disappointed. Which was a different take, I suppose, even if - followed to its logical conclusion - it would knock the best efforts of the international advertising industry clean out of the water.
Having looked at 20 or so Edinburgh properties back in June, I have to say that I like their thinking! My mum and I would come out of so many properties being thoroughly disappointed with the actual rooms compared to the photos. We did infact joke about wanting the solicitors photographers to take glamour shots for us :) The property we are buying (long waiting game as an issue arose which jeopardised the purchase but just found out today its a go) had the worst photos by any solicitor, we were so impressed and surprised by the property that we made an offer the same day. (Edinburgh Villa has a Georgian brother on the way ;)
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

I agree..I think it's very fine line between representing and misleading! The disadvantage we have is that we're tryng to "sell" something that the prospective punters don't actually see until they've bought it :?
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

it's very fine line between representing and misleading!
Maybe I'm wrong but I'd assumed that we're all pretty sophisticated bunnies now. If I bought a new Citroen car, I might have been attracted by the advertising campaign (and I'd be delighted if it worked properly) but I wouldn't really expect it to morph into a robot and skate around the place. I sort of understand that (as Paul Simon said) they're 'just trying to capture my dime' with an attractive fantasy.

Same, I think, with room interiors for sale or rent. If I'm looking at what is obviously a small room, I don't really expect it to be bigger in real life because I can see lots of clues (like beds and wardrobes) which help me to size it correctly in my head. It's just nice to be able to look around the room - even if it's a bit distorted.

Jim
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

I'd like to think you're right Jim :D
mario

Post by mario »

Posted this on a similar topic but meant to post it here,see below.

Just bought a second hand Kodak P880 specifically to take shoots of inside/outside of the villa due to its great wide angle lens,but if I have to reduce the size of the pics to put them on the rental websites am I best shooting at a reduced pixel size then,the max it does is 8.o mega pix.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakp880/page2.asp