Letting to big groups

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Fibi

I'm not sure that the fact you are letting to a big group changes things on this one. The big question is do you want to let your own home? Yes a big group can cause more wear and tear, but then again a small group could do damage too.

Is your house set up for such big numbers? can you sit them all round a table for instance? For 16 people I would expect at least 7 bedrooms - do you have this even without the master bedroom? (just HOW big is your house???)

You may well find that even though it is advertised for 16 you get smaller groups. Our biggest house sleeps 11, but is more often let to a group of 8 or 9.

In terms of threesomes - we are fortunate that our third property is on a different site, so if two are let together they have the whole site and pool to themselves.

Ju
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

thinking just thinking of renting our own family home next August,
Hi Fibi :) I think this really is a different ball game to what most of us [well at least me :roll: ]do....
The houses are not my family home..and were bought for the purpose of renting out..[and having holidays as well of course]
You really have to think this through...
Could you really relax letting them have 'run' of your house..especially as youve already said how much decorating and furnishings have cost....
It really doesnt bother me as the houses in Spain have no family memories and nothing there have any personal attachment..but Im not sure I could let out my
'Family Home' and its a lot more modest than yours :!:
enid

Post by enid »

I agree with Ros - your house sounds a rather special place and guests, even guests who are paying a premium, don't always respect properties. There are others here who let out their own homes - Paul Carmel for one - so maybe they have different advice.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

We let out our second home, which isn't quite the same I know, but we furnished it for ourselves more than for letting, so have some special pieces there. Generally, these, and the main fabric of the house, haven't come to much harm; it's the soft furnishings that take the brunt of the wear and tear. We also have some nice accessories, and loads of very nice books etc, but so far, so good. At least Feebs, you know what to expect in terms of possible grime on your return, having no doubt been faced with the full range of guests in your letting properties, from the pristine down to the downright dirty!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Hi Fibi

we let out our home and I think I would say approach it from both the money point of view & your personality.
If the money isn't essential - then don't do it. And if you have the 'perfectionist' gene in you then it will be hard to move back into your house and see small things like hand prints on wallpaper, marks on walls left by suitcases, stains on furnishings (that you might have to live with as you can't get them off) etc etc.

You have to have a particular mindset when you rent out your home. For a start you're emotionally attached to it and you will have to live with the consequence of any wear & tear (hopefully not damage). You will have no real control over how it's used. And its a balance; strip it of all things you would hate to lose or have damaged but leave enough so it looks nice & homely.
And prepare to live with any consequences.

For example; New fridge bought in time for 1st guests. 2 wks in and a huge tomato fingerprint appears on the seal for all to see. Can't get it off & it wouldn't have happened if we'd not rented. I will have to look at that stain now each time I open the fridge knowing some idiot who didn't wash their hands 1st did it :lol:
My perfectionist gene has to well and truely stamped down! :lol:

If these things happen in a seperate rental property then you shut the door & don't have to live with them. I always have to re-decorate to get it back to a standard I can live with. But we have painted walls & no carpets - so realitively easy.

You're right to think it through & canvas opinion.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Mouse wrote:But we have painted walls & no carpets - so realitively easy.
You're right Mousie, that's an important point. I take it Fibi's home is in the UK, so will have carpet in most rooms more than likely, and she has mentioned the cost of decorating the hall and stairs.... as you say, it depends on how well you can take disappointment, and in our case it's not very well at all; even minor damage makes us angry and upset.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Fibi Said..
I'll be lucky to make £1.5k after deductions and our stairs and hall just cost £7k to decorate!
Thats what stood out for me as well :shock: