Google Maps

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Alan Knighting

Google Maps

Post by Alan Knighting »

Some may find the following useful.

Apparently Google has this week released a new feature that enables people to easily embed a Google Map into their Web sites. No coding or programming is required, just copying and pasting a snippet of HTML.

According to Google, to embed a Google Map you simply pull up the map you want to embed, click “Link to this page� and copy and paste the HTML code into your Web site. Apparently the map is fully interactive, with the ability for users to drag and click or zoom in on a location. The maps include satellite and hybrid modes.
enid

Post by enid »

Thanks for that Alan -I'll have a look when I'm on web site revamp :)
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Thanks Alan.
I wanted to do something like the buddymap thing with google maps but couldn't find how to.

I'm due a web update with new dates and rates so I'll have a go. cheers
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

This has been available for some time now and I have 3 websites that you can click on a link to take you to the page in Google Maps with area information on it. Take a look at http://www.theclockplace.co.uk/largemap.html and click the link on the map and you will see what you can do with the "MY MAPS" section. You can give your visitors all sorts of local info with place markers, graphics and text.

Cheers
Overboard

Re: Google Maps

Post by Overboard »

Alan Knighting wrote:Some may find the following useful.

Apparently Google has this week released a new feature that enables people to easily embed a Google Map into their Web sites. No coding or programming is required, just copying and pasting a snippet of HTML.
Copy and Pasting you say? My kind of HTML! Thanks, will have a look at doing that, adding touristy sites etc would be good!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

This has been available for some time now and I have 3 websites that you can click on a link to take you to the page in Google Maps with area information on it.
What can I say? According to Google it went live on the 21st August. Before then, according to Google, embedding an interactive Google map on your own site required an API key and the help of your hosting service.

I was only trying to help, I stand to be corrected and I may be wrong but I think this new service is something a little different. It seems it’s no longer a matter of clicking on links to get maps; it seems it’s a way of embedding maps into websites.
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

Sorry Alan you are right about embedding a map on your website, the way I understood your posting was that a link is available to place on a website. From what I can see it looks very good indeed, better than the link option, thanks for the info.

Cheers
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Alan, thanks for that! Posting the day after it went live, very up-to-date indeed. I'll have to mess with it and see what I can come up with. Like, can I change the height and width of the embedded map?

I've also recently started using the "My Maps" feature; when I send our final welcome packet, I also send a link to the map, which includes our house address and a list of local sights marked on the map. I haven't gotten any comments about it yet. I have thought about putting it on our website, except that I don't want to publish our street address because we don't live on site.
Brooke