Macs and accented file names

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Mountain Goat

Macs and accented file names

Post by Mountain Goat »

I'm having to deal with several hundred images from a local snapper, which have been stored on his Mac.

Is it a feature of Macs that they can handle accented letters in file names? I'm curious.

My laptop, running XPPro is having a mild migraine dealing with them.

MG

Album
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Send something to our Mac if you like MG and we'll see?! :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

MG, I wonder what would happen if you changed your language in XP to French (or whatever language it is the filenames are in)? Do you think it would handle the accented file names better?

Not that that answers your question about Macs... just curious.
Brooke
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

GG, many thanks, will do.

Brooke
For some reason my XPro handles them fine on my PC (although I don't understand how or why) so my original query is incorrect.

The problem is having uploaded it to the website, how the website software deals with it, and that's where it is severely graunched. I guess if it's Unix or something like that, no chance. Quicker for us just to rename the files and strip the accents off. I've just never come across it before.

Out of curiousity, then, anyone know if Macs routinely handle accented file names? Or maybe my image supplier (photographer) is just doing it innocently but incorrectly?

MG
slartibartfast
Location: Ovacik , Olu Deniz, Hisaronu , Fethiye ,Turkey ..but live in Perth

Post by slartibartfast »

MG sorry if this is an egg sucking lesson but someone recommended Irfanview as an image editor http://www.irfanview.net/

It is freeware and nice to use but it also has a very useful batch conversion utility which does everything from pattern renames , watermark adding , text adding , custom image processing , sharpening , resizing etc.

Very handy if you are dealing with more than a few files