rental rates and the online shopper

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
annemarie

rental rates and the online shopper

Post by annemarie »

If I'm shopping on line for a destination, I will not "call for prices."
I expect to find everything I need to know before wasting your time or mine with a phone call or e-mail. There are plenty of places that post pricing, so there's no need to take even more time to send an inquiry when I can get what I need elsewhere.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I agree!

If a price isn't stated I'm thinking... "this might be really expensive and if it is I'll have to do that "I'll talk it over with my husband" get out excuse"....

I like to state my prices (and availibility) so potential renters have everything availible to make a decision. It's too easy for people to think they'll make a call later and not get around to it before they find a property that does have the info at their fingertips.
A-two

Post by A-two »

I agree with you about stating a price, especially when it comes to print advertising, but some of the listing sites are really difficult to keep updated, Cyberrentals for example.

Consequently, I end up with slightly different rates on a few of the listing sites, and cover this on our personal website by stating, "Rates range from x to x, depending on the season and number of occupants". That sets the ball park, but allows some flexibility. It's not rocket science to work out that July/ August is going to be at the top of the range for a family with children, and that early Spring for a couple is going to be at the bottom of the range. I never quote more than is listed anywhere and sometimes I may quote less.

I prefer the flexibility to negotiate personally for some weeks that might prove difficult to move for one reason or another, or if a very nice elderly couple inquires, I might want to go with them rather than a family with 5 children under 10 that would pay full price. Less rent for less wear and tear. Doesn't everybody do this to some extent?

What I really don't like are the listing sites that ask for "average rate". What's that supposed to mean?

Availability calendar is also crucial to getting that first inquiry IMHO. As a consumer given the choice between chasing something that might not be there and one that shows it is definitely available, I know which one I would pass over. Why waste time on something that may not even be there?

I'm also now thinking of bringing the Guest Reviews feature forward on our personal website because I'm now convinced that people rely on this quite a lot more than I had appreciated - almost identikit versions of some families turn up the next year after a review first appears! And folks mention them when we talk.
Waves from America