Ok, gone live....your thoughts please?

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Very nice site. Two negatives I picked up on:

- it's a bit text-heavy. I'd present the key points in a bullet-point list at the top of the home page, otherwise one has to read the whole lot to get the basic info out.
- I didn't see any internal pics of the gites, and as a rental-seeker that means I wouldn't go on to enquire.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

I can get in now with Firefox ... so whatever you did fixed this.

First and foremost I am a lay person when it comes to the web so see these comments in that light.

I must say I think the site is too wordy. There needs to be more pictures.

The accomodation looks nice but I dont get a sense of where I will be staying and the condition of the place.

The second map is very hard to read.

Regards
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
HWTechie

Post by HWTechie »

Hi,

your menu is all javascript links, including your sitemap. Search Engine bots don't follow these, so when they come to visit your site they have nowhere else to go!

example:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... ites%2Ecom
Google only has your homepage listed.

The easiest thing to do would be to include a normal text link at the bottom of your page to your sitemap.

Generally, agree with the other posts, needs to provide most relevant info as quick as possible.

HWTechie
A-two

Post by A-two »

two quick points

1. like the site a lot, very attracted to it, but unless I missed it in my quick vist, it doesn't go far enough. e.g. where is the photo of that bed that i want to throw myself into at the end of a hard day's drive? I'm looking for a little bit of personal warmth in the photos - you have it there in the friendly text and very well said I might add, but it would help to reinforce this visually with a softness in the photos. A close up of something living and breathing would do the job - I'm sure you could think of something more original than a cute rabbit running around the yard, or a bunch of flowers, fluffy towels, or whatever, but do you know what I mean?

2. also like the calendar of events a lot - keep going with that one if you can - trust me, after you fill up year after year for the same week, you'll come to rely on your events calendar for selling the other 51 weeks that nobody seems to want (OK, I'm exaggerating but you get the picture I hope!) We're still trying to get a handle on that one for our house (too many things going on), but I think it's the key to success. As they say, "build it and they will come", which in my book means giving folks a reason to want to come at a time they would not normally consider, just in case the time they are looking for is already booked.

My 2 centimes

Joanna
Waves from America
Stu

Post by Stu »

Thanks all,

The reason that there aren't any internal shots is simply because the ones we have are a bit rubbish to be honest. We're back out there this week to make amends on that score. I'll be taking all my cameras, lights etc with me, so hopefully will get some decent shots of the comfy bed etc.

I'm not up to speed on the Google thing, so I'll have to consult my 'techie' mate, but we'll get it sorted. Incidentally, when I get enquiries I generally ask where they 'found' us, and a couple have now said 'Google search', so something must be working ok.

I've had a look at the site with a view to cutting down on the words, so I may have a go at re-writing it later, but I have a feeling that more pics instead will probably help?

Anyway, thanks one & all for your brilliant insights, you're all stars!