Help!

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
oskar

Help!

Post by oskar »

Help! Someone´s cut off my right arm - my Google tool bar PageRank! :shock:

It´s not working, just says "No PageRank information available" for every page.

Is it just me? And if it is, how do I get it back! :(
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Help! Someone´s cut off my right arm - my Google tool bar PageRank!
Oskar, why do you think not being able to see your Google PageRank is like having your right arm cut off. It isn't as useful as people seem to think. Why do you think it is useful??
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
oskar

Post by oskar »

Hi reddevil

I have to confess I´m a bit of a novice regarding all this, but as I´ve been working on adding links recently (which people say to me is a good thing for a higher position in search engines), I find it extremely useful to identify sites with as high a page rank as possible for their links pages, as I understand it benefits my link if I can get it on to a high ranking page. Also some sites will not link to you unless your own links page has a certain pagerank, so I need to continually monitor my own, which have varying ranks and are constantly changing as my site is fairly new, otherwise I´m just wasting time submitting a form for link exchange. In addition, being new to this as I said, I find it useful to do research on my competitors as to their search engine position, and try to determine the reasons why they have a higher position than me. One of the tools you can use for this exercise is a Pagerank.

The problem is that you read so much conflicting opinion on this subject and the truth seems to be that no one really knows just how the likes of Google work. Yes, it might not be that useful, but I think it´s very useful as an important part of a learning process i.e. it may help me to find out that it isn´t as useful as people seem to think! :) :wink:
oskar

Post by oskar »

Anyway, is yours working? 8)
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Oskar,
From your reply, you certainly seem to have done quite a bit of research into links and PageRank and some of your points are very valid. Yes, PageRank is one of the many, many factors that go into how your pageranks in the Google.
I think most people really enjoy seeing an actual figure (eg. PR) to show for all their work and even top ranking webmasters were talking about this new phenomena when ti first raised its head.
However, as you mention, only Google knows what value it gives to their algorithm but for sure, people are overvaluing it and could be concentrating on optimising other parts of their website pages instead of being transfixed by PR.
BTW, the Toolbar seems to have been greyed out for all sites since 27th May and people are rumouring that maybe Google have eventually decided to take the PR rank away.
I am not a Google expert and just take in what I read on the net, and from my reading, the concensus is that you can do without the PR and still keep both your arms :lol:
Keep on reading until your eyes hurt Oskar, you seem to be doing quite a good job already.
oskar

Post by oskar »

Thanks reddevil. It´s good to know I´m not the only one.

If they have done away with it, then that´s fine by me. It did seem a bit unfair that new sites like mine couldn´t work hard in certain areas at improvements simply because other sites didn´t want to know me due to something as abstract as pagerank.

Thankfully, I´ve already had my "Yippee, my site´s finally got a Google pagerank!" party 2 or 3 weeks ago, so the champagne I bought in advance didn´t go to waste! :wink:
oskar

Post by oskar »

Some other opinions on the suject..........

http://www.webworkshop.net/seoforum/vie ... php?t=5886
oskar

Post by oskar »

It´s back! :)
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Oh no, disaster. It feels like all my worries have just returned :lol:

Not that I'm interested.......but did your PR change, mine is just the same, just goes to show that Google don't know what they are doing, I deserve to be PR10.
oskar

Post by oskar »

A four!! :shock:

And I´m just the same as before, a measly 2. :(

The rest of my day is going to be spent working out why you get a 4 and I get a 2. Expect 100 more hits on your site today! :wink:
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Ther you go Oskar, just what I've been telling you all along - this PR thingy just makes frustrated webmasters out of all of us.

I looked at your backlinks and noticed that a majority are from holidaytruths. Probably, Google will only count one or two of them in their calculation and so I sugest you keep on trying to get more quality links.....and then, just as you see the magic PR4 or PR5 on your toolbar, Google will shutdown the green bar forever :P