Oh Dear!

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Sarah

Oh Dear!

Post by Sarah »

On Wednesday morning, my computer wouldn't come on, no life at all; so I took it to the local computer expert.

I had been the victim of a power surge and the computer was a write off. The man managed to save most of the stuff on my hard drive and gave it to me to 'connect' to the new computer.

I now have a nice shiny new lap top but haven't the foggiest idea how I connect my old hard drive to the new computer. I don't want to open it up as I'm afraid of invalidating the warranty, nor do I particularly want to go back to the computer man as he charges 65 euros per hour.

Any ideas?
enid

Post by enid »

I'm sorry I can't help but it was a power cut that did for my computer recently - I have it on my list to order UPS protection - Uninterruptable Power Supply - I'm going to do it now!!! It's one of the irritations of living in France. Good luck with reinstalling the hard drive - mine couldn't be saved :(
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

IS it the hard driver from your old computer. Was it a laptop or a PC? I know how to do it with a PC, but not a PC hard drive to a laptop, I think the connectors will be different. You will probably need an adaptor, and have to open up the laptop.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Rethink, you may be able to get an adaptor to allow you to plug into a USB port.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

presuming its an IDE drive, you need one of these

Link shortened by mods, click here to access

but you also need to power it somehow
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

ah it looks like that has a power adapter as well :)

I've never done it, but it MAY not be that simple! Not sure if you have to configure the jumpers to be secondary master/slave, but it has to be worth a bit of faffing :)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Looks like it comes with an AC adapter, I assume it must therefore have a power point?
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

it would be worth checking out the drive manufacturers website as well..... they sometimes have utilities you can download for recovery
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Thanks folks! Will let you know how I get on.

Enid, I just got a UPS from Casto for 23 euros.
enid

Post by enid »

Casto - is that a shop or do you mean Castorama? - explanation for an old woman needed please Sarah :wink:
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Sorry Enid, I do mean Castorama :lol: . I'm so used to calling it that that I tend to assume everyone else does !!
enid

Post by enid »

Merci ma belle - we are a bit of a distance from a Casto ( see I'm a quick learner!!!!) but I'll see if I can get to one :)
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Sarah,

If it's a laptop hard drive then you need an external hub that you link to your new laptop via the usb. I suggest you take it to a computer shop and show them because you may need more than the basic hub if you've just been left with the drive card.

(I had to go through all this a few months ago, although luckily our tech guys at work provided all the stuff. But I did need an extra gizmo to keep it in place in the hub.)
Lounging on the lily pad...