Editing comments from your guest book for online versions

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
A-two

Editing comments from your guest book for online versions

Post by A-two »

Quesion: Do you/would you selectively edit comments when transferring from the guest book left in the house to your online version(s)?

The suggestion was made in this forum that the "Guest Book" is best presented as more of a "suggestions book" (sorry couldn't find the thread). I took this comment on board and last week asked guests to comment not only on the house, but also to include their recommendations for places and things to do, as well anything that they may have found disappointing and would not do again. Well, they were paying attention, because today, I got a tripple whammy!

Now, instead of the typical "house is comfortable and has everything needed" comment, I just received two pages of very detailed descriptions! Here's the full unedited comment from the guest book:

Memorial Day May 30th 2005:
"Thank you for the beautiful weather, it was sunny all day and rained at night! We had a lovely stay.

We absolutely loved the hike at Shelter Island at the Mashomak Preserve - take the red trail to the blue-green one to the beautiful beach. Even 3 yrd old Alex can hike it! We had our picnic on the beach.

Our dinner at "Fifth Season" was delicious! The monkfish was one of the best fish entrees we've had (considering we've been to lots of restaurants in LA, NY, France & Italy, this was no mean feat). Also, their Calamari and hot cherry peppers was very good.

We tasted at Paumanok and Peconic Bay Vineyards. The scallops at Braun's were delicious, as were the fresh asparagus and spinach.

We drove to Riverhead to check out the Dinosaur "museum" but passed on it as it looked more like a video arcade than a proper museum. The "Aquarium" also appeared to be more of a "marine world" than aquarium like the ones in Monterey Bay or Mystic that we've been to.

The house was very comfortable. We loved eating and sitting on the deck (too bad it's not closer to the kitchen). The rabbits/geese and swans were charming. Thank you for a relaxing long weekend. We all did get to swim."

Pete, Bel, Evan (5) and Alex (3)
New Haven, Connecticut "

Here are my edits for the online version at Rentors dot org:

1) I deleted the paragraph about the Dinosaur Museum and Aquarium altogether. Reason: Did they ever go inside? It doesn't read that way to me. I've actually been to the Monterey Aquarium in LA they are using as a comparison, and still think ours is world class, as well others have enjoyed it, but haven't mentioned in the guest book to counterbalance this opinion. Also, they are missing the main point of it's exostence - which is a key rescue center for New York. The Dinosaur Museum may be disappointing, I don't know, it's brand new, haven't been there yet (do I have to?). Anyway, I'm just not convinced this is fair comment, although certainly it will still be available in the guest book at the house, so others can review on arrival.

2) I have added two words for clarification purposes to the comment about the deck being so far away from kitchen, specifically adding "second floor deck", otherwise I have left it as written. Casual readters need to be clear that the review is about the second floor sundeck off the upstairs living room, not the "officially designated" outdoor dining area, which is on the ground floor, right next to the kitchen and BBQ.

I considered deleting this comment altogether because we don't want to encourage whole meals being taken upstairs with more chance of spills as it's carried across our carpeted living room. (it's set up more as a cocktails and canapes kind of place). Anyway, I didn't delete it after all because a) it's fair comment and b) 100% positive reviews can give the impression they are being heavily edited by the person trying to pursuade you to buy the goods, and therefore not to be trusted. Am I wrong?

Overall, I really like this comment for the additional information it provides, but I'm a little uncomfortable about putting subjective comments that have negative overtones online unless counterbalanced. Am I worrying too much?

The physical guest book itself is left at the house, so guests will always be able to see the original handwritten comment in full after arrival, but should it all be online? If not, then will they feel cheated on arrival to realize the guest reviews have been selectively edited, or will they not notice, or nor even care if they do notice?

Your views would be appreciated.
Waves from America
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joanna,

I think quoting extracts from what guests have said is perfectly OK but editing (i.e. changing) what they have said is not.

Alan
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Joanna,

From reading the unedited version, I would be persuaded to stay there. The guest has written probably 90% very positive points and mentioned a couple fo points that they feel are not so good. Any intelligent person would think the same as you and that they did not actually go inside the museum and so it 'could' actually be OK. But all the other positive points would make me want to stay.

I also agree that edited versions are OK but best not to change the words.
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
A-two

Post by A-two »

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Both viewpoints helpful and valid.

I have to confess that in another life I worked for a mainstream media outlet and often illustrated/ edited copy, including for the news that you may have watched every day if you are in the UK and watch public broadcasting. How the news is reported is another whole topic all on its own, but now in another life, I am constantly surprised by how much more difficult it is to make a judgement call when it's something to which one is emotionally connected.

Anyway, for what it's worth, my "professional view" is that in principal, one must not change the sense of the meaning by changing words, but equally, one may change words to make better sense of the meaning the writer intended. It's a question of integrity. The simplest example would be correcting a typo/ spelling mistake.

So the issue is not as simple as saying "don't change their words" because sometimes, with the best will in the world, people do not always use the words they mean to say when writing in a guest book on their way out of the door in a hurry.

Given the situation, I do still think it's OK to add (for example) "second floor" to "deck", because although it changes the words written, it clarifies the meaning the writer intended, and avoids misunderstandings that otherwise may read into what has been said.

What hit home for me is about having sufficient confidence to stay with what is written in total - meaning, it's best not to quote selectively at all if space allows. I agree with that view.

However, given the situation that the quoted review includes a negative comment about the Aquarium, and it's the only review of the Aquarium received, then by rights, the Aquarium ought to be offered a right of rebuttal to counterbalance, otherwise it's a distortion. The alternative is not to quote the one review at all until 10 another reviews have been received and posted alongside it. This is the viewpoint I took when deciding to delete the single (negative) review.

As well, where space requires editing, then it becomes a question of how to precis a review that is 90% positive and 10% negative. Does that mean that a selective quote ought to be one negative word for every nine words of praise? Otherwise that could be regarded as "changing the words".

At this point I can hear people saying "get a life"... :? ....and maybe it's just me, but I'm struggling with finding the right balance between marketing, transparency and credibility.
Waves from America
tansy

Post by tansy »

I think leave it as it is..I only edit when some weirdo puts on the guestbook about enhancing your sex life!

Re your deck and your carpet...Joanna if you saw what went on your house when you are not there you would curl up & shrivel!!

You really do have to look at it as folk will do what they want...I was told when we were thinking about going into rental - you'll have to throw everything out and renew! So right was that advice - so I'm afraid your carpet will have to go one day!

But to me their comments sounded real - I would probably go to look at the 'video arcade' just out of curiosity ...they rest of it sounded quite upbeat to me...the comments about the wildlife have stuck with me...it sounds a lovely spot.

As you say the book is in the house anyway.

Americans love to leave their comments - and lengthy ones at that! We've just had a 3 pager left which I haven't published on the internet yet.

Talking of Americans....I've just had a run of 11 American families - hate to say it - but I prefer having American families to the British now - the house is ALWAYS handed back as they found it and they ALWAYS seem to enjoy themselves...

I went up to see the folk that are now in the house, yesterday, to make sure everything was OK - wish I hadn't bothered - this is when I am very glad we live a distance away...it came as a shock as I've got used to being greeted with enthusaisim and how lovely eveything is...I got a grunt as the 2nd load of washing was being pegged out...they've only been here 2 days - yet 2 loads of washing...do they bring it with them? :roll:
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

However, given the situation that the quoted review includes a negative comment about the Aquarium, and it's the only review of the Aquarium received, then by rights, the Aquarium ought to be offered a right of rebuttal to counterbalance, otherwise it's a distortion. The alternative is not to quote the one review at all until 10 another reviews have been received and posted alongside it. This is the viewpoint I took when deciding to delete the single (negative) review.
Joanna, remember that these are are 'personal opinions' and people who read them will treat them that way. Some people will like things they way they are and others will not. If the Aquarium people happen to see your guest book and don't feel happy then they will either (a) rent your place and make a counter comment in your guerstbook, or (b) do something about the appearance to make it look better. Either way you win.

If I saw your guerst book in you rplace and noted that you had deleted the only negative comment then i would have been (only slightly) cheated. However, if I saw 90% positive comments and kept in the 10% negative then I would probably believe this was an accurate assessment of the place. I mean, is there such a place as paradise??
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hi Joanna. I think I would read your guests' comments and come away thinking they must have really enjoyed their stay at your house to have written so much :lol: . Much better than the folk who write nothing (leaving future guests with the impression that you've not been booked up!) or those who simply write "lovely cottage" and nothing more.

Our cottage "benefits" from visits from the local cat. To me, he's a b****y nuisance; I'm scared of locking him in the house unintentionally and coming back with guests to "scratched up" house. But, guests seem to love him. We've got reams written about him in our guest book, including poems from children. I now know he's called Ham, what he likes to eat and (just about) when his birthday is!

On another point, we don't have an on-line guest book where visitors can leave comments but I do use comments from our visitors book on our website. The only editing I do is spelling and adding a word in square brackets so that anyone reading it understands the context, eg:

Thank you for the [Christmas] tree and presents.

I also ask visitors if we can use their comments on our website. A good excuse for getting back in touch with them.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I agree with Alan's take on things -- as long as it's clear that the comments are in fact extracts. We've had pages and pages of reviews, as well as bits and pieces of reviews sprinkled amidst details of financial transactions, etc. It doesn't make sense to publish these as-is: sometimes they're so long they would be off-putting, and other times they give away far too much personal information, etc.

As you said, the full-length comments are in the guestbook for all to see, and I always offer to put the potential client and past client in contact with one another, if there's any question. You're right, I think, integrity is the name of the game.
Brooke
A-two

Post by A-two »

OK, you win! I have now included the bad review of the Dinosaur Museum and Aquarium in the online version.

Also today, I sent a note to them, included with their deposit return, that I am including a copy of their great review online and hope they don't mind - their privacy is assured by use of first names only. You're right - permission must be sought before reposting to our website - I have not been doing that, but will now at least offer them the right to refuse.

Brooke, I agree with you that comments need to be edited to delete personal info and to keep them punchy and to the point if people write too much. Unfortunately, "too much" hasn't happened to me yet! But I have to say that I would never refer prospective guests (whom I don't know well) to prior guests (who have become valued customers I want to rebook). That's overstepping the issue of privacy in my book and too risky. Why bother someone with whom you want to maintain a good relationship in the future for the benefit of a complete stranger? Not necessary in my view. When was the last time you talked to the previous guest in a hotel room before you were willing to book it?

I think personal references are only desireable for a longer term situation, like a winter rental of several months or when hiring staff, such as cleaners. In that case, it's a reverse situation, whereby I am asking them for personal references, not the other way round. I can't think of a situation where we need to do it - our track record speaks for itself.
Waves from America
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Joanna,

You're right -- references are definitely not a standard thing! I think just having the option of asking makes the potential clients feel better. If someone ever does ask, I will first contact the past client myself and ask their permission to give their name to a potential client. That way it won't be without warning, and I'll do everything I can to keep them from feeling obligated.

Recently a magazine for wealthy people in the US state of Georgia wanted to write an article about us and our area, and asked for references. I used the above method and made sure to let the past clients know that if they were uncomfortable with it for any reason, they could absolutely just say no and the magazine would never know. But they were all delighted to do it!
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

Anyway, for what it's worth, my "professional view" is that in principal, one must not change the sense of the meaning by changing words, but equally, one may change words to make better sense of the meaning the writer intended. It's a question of integrity. The simplest example would be correcting a typo/ spelling mistake.
This is entirely my view.

As to whether to include the negative aspects of the review, I certainly wouldn't bother. I don't put entire entries from my suggestions/guest book on the net because first of all they would be too long to wade through, and secondly I want to use selective quotes, one or two sentences only, that express one idea or impression about the house and location.

But if I did put up the entire book, I would certainly add comments and clarifications in square brackets. If the dinosaur museum is actually great for kids of a certain age, or has been recommended by other guests, I would point that out.

One property I stayed in had a guestbook with negative comments about, for example the shortage of hot water. The owner had added comments to explain what caused the problem and how it had been resolved. This way, the negativity of the comment was defused.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
paolo

Post by paolo »

If someone ever does ask, I will first contact the past client myself and ask their permission to give their name to a potential client. That way it won't be without warning, and I'll do everything I can to keep them from feeling obligated.
I agree, you shouldn't give out past clients' details without their permission. I sometimes get asked for 'references' and I email some previous renters and ask them to get in touch with the person if they have a minute. They invariably do.
Paolo
Lay My Hat