Pool excavation

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Marc Duffy

Pool excavation

Post by Marc Duffy »

Myseld and my friend have villas next door but one to each other. Both of us had new guests arrive on Sunday and Monday morning I took a call from my managing agent to say that the villa was shaking as the villa in between had in their wisdom decided that they wanted a swimming pool built and excavation had started.

Understandably, the guests in my villa who had a small baby were not happy and in the end, despite my managing agents looking to see what was on their books, they booked into a hotel.

On the other hand, the guests in my friends villa seemed to not be phased by the noise and have got on with things as they have a car.

Obviously, the works are out of my control, I've apologised to the guests, I am refunding their money and I've also offered them a free week next year when hopefully there will be no troubles.

How have others dealt with similar stories?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

No Marc (welcome BTW) but I am in full sympathy, and am cross on your behalf that the neighbour didn't notify you of his intention, which would have given you a chance to warn your guests, offer a discount when they enquired, or whatever. :evil:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I do sympathise with you (and welcome to the board BTW!). Unknown building works is the nightmare of rental owners.

We had a similar situation this year...we'd decided to only rent out from mid June as we had family over...just as well, as on their 2nd day the earth started to move at 8am!
On investigation our next door neighbour (won the spanish lottery...so more money than sense) who'd had all winter to do works...had decided to get his workmen to burrow out a storeroom from the garage into the rock that the house is built on!!

We came to an arrangement where they started at 10am but t went on for 6 days...thank god we didn't have guests renting!

I'm sure your guests will understand it isn't your fault and that this has just occured. You've done your best to rectify that and I'm sure they're happy you cared enough to do that. Your friend is very lucky to have extremely laid back guests! :D

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

As GG says,

Welcome to the Forum :) .
What an awful situation to be in and totally out of your control.
You seemed to have done all you can to deal with this..
My Sympathies.

Has it finished now and do you have other guests going out there.??
Marc Duffy

Post by Marc Duffy »

I didn't realise it was my first post (thought I'd posted before) as I've been registered for a while just lurking!

The next guests in on Sunday are my mum, my nan, a relative from Spain, my girlfriend and my 2 kids -- I'm sure they'll be more problematic that most of my other guests ;)

The works are apparently due to take place for 4 days (well the excavation part that is)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I'm sure they'll be more problematic that most of my other guests
:wink: :lol:

Hope the trip goes well Marc,
and that you have minimum disruption..

Take Carexx