Would you look at this - please

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
lynne9999

Would you look at this - please

Post by lynne9999 »

Dear All

Please would you have a look at my owners direct website and give me your comments please. I am very new to the rental business and have no idea if this is ok.

I have looked at my stats and have 141 hits since end of Aug but no enquires is this normal for a brand new property?

Your advice and comments good and bad most welcome.

Thank you

Lynne & Brent

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/cyprus/cy1126.htm
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It could be because your property shows as booked until the end of the summer and people haven't started looking for 2008 yet.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Hi L & B

I hardly dare light the touch paper on single sex rentals, but you may decide to be less ambiguous on this, and say exactly what you intend to mean? Large groups perhaps? If you mean what it says you may lose quite a market of peaceful, law-abiding couples. If you've got a spare reading week available, the relevant LMH thread may be interesting for you, but it may leave you reeling. It almost triggered WW III, and the fallout on that thread has only just started to settle.

You mention that skiing is available. It may be worth doing a bit of research, to see which months are best, and whether reliable enough for anyone to booking a holiday based on that idea.

You could possibly streamline your Notes on Prices, it looks a bit repetitive on discounts....

Nice place!

MG
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Maybe you should say single sex group rentals? I have a lesbian couple staying at the moment who are perfect guests, in fact as I write, they are taking my dogs out for a walk. 'No single sex rentals' sounds as though you are discriminating against homosexuals - but then maybe you are??

The ad looks fine to me, I'ma great advocate of paying for extra photos on a listing site if you have the opportunity to do so, I believe it does make a difference.
Last edited by la vache! on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Looks fine to me L&B, very smart villa - impressive!
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
lynne9999

Post by lynne9999 »

Hi Everyone

Thank you for your comments so far.

OMG :shock: I am noway discriminating against homosexuals it's because we are not far from Ayia Napa (rave town) so we did not want groupd of young boys or girls going out raving then back to the villa for another party.

Any suggestions on what I could put instead so I do not exclude same sex couples, or should I just get rid of it and vet them out over the phone.

Thanks again for your comments

Lynne & Brent
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

No large single-sex groups?

If you get a handful of gay Nigerian bishops, you can have a quiet word on the 'phone beforehand, in case they're heading off for Aya Napa? I guess it's your decision.

Phone vetting may not work, as rave groups would probably elect a responsible sounding member, if, and when sober etc.

MG
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lynne9999

Post by lynne9999 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

The thread on single-sex rentals is long and does get heated, but I think that in the end the general consensus was that each owner should allow/disallow whatever they're comfortable with, provided that they also obey the law applying to their rental. If there are anti-discrimination laws in Cyprus (or whatever country has jurisdiction over your booking agreement) that say you can't refuse service on the basis of gender, then you may not want to risk restricting single-sex parties.

But if that's the case, there are likely other ways of protecting your property. There is probably some restriction that you can apply across the board to weed out those who are far less likely to be irresponsible with your property, or at least, weed out those who couldn't pay for damages they've done to your property. For example, you could state that a) all adult members of the party must sign your booking form, and that b) whoever is paying for the booking must stay at the property themselves (i.e., no parents of university students paying). That way you'll get people responsible enough to pay for their own vacation, and if they still cause a lot of damage, more than one person is legally responsible for paying for it.
Brooke
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Lynne if you take a look on Holidaylettings they have a catagory choice you can select which states; families and couples prefered.
Which is a positive way of stating the type of holidaymaker you want. And it doesn't look out of place on the adverts when chosen.

Alternatively you could just say, as we do, that the villa is not suitable for parties or loud music due to neighbours (as I assume that is what you are most worried about) and emphasis the quiet area?

Also make sure you have the T&Cs to back up things like over-occupancy and causing a nuisance to neighbours.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi Lynne & Brent,

Your villa looks lovely, and the site looks good; crisp and clear.
I think I would move the accommodation notes up higher than the prices, though. Reel them in with details of the place before you start talking money.

On your page of extra photos, I would suggest you move the barbecue pic up higher - it really caught my attention and as people will be eating outside a lot, I think it should be the first on that page of pix.

Re your restrictions, I agree with Mouse - if you say what you prefer, you do give an image of the kind of place it is, without offending anyone. If I were planning a wild party I would almost certainly steer clear of places that emphasise the availability of cots and how quiet the area is! :lol:

As you're only going online now, perhaps you could change your introduction temporarily to emphasise how Cyprus is the perfect destination for some winter sun. Don't forget that those of us in northern/western Europe have been deprived of summer. :cry: I, for one, am already organising a property swap with a friend of a friend in Cyprus, just to say I saw the sun for more than a week this year! :lol:

Best of luck! The villa looks lovely and I'm sure you'll soon have the inquiries flooding in.
Lounging on the lily pad...
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I think I would move the accommodation notes up higher than the prices, though. Reel them in with details of the place before you start talking money.

Totally agree with Greenfrog on this one, and we tackled OwnersDirect on this feature of their templates, ages ago, but it was nogo.

Seems to go in the face of everything I don't know about advertising - surely: seduce the punter first, get them singing and dancing and celebrating they've found the right place, and leave the price to the very, very end by which time, hopefully, they won't even notice.

MG