Problems with BT Internet and AOL addresses

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Windy

Problems with BT Internet and AOL addresses

Post by Windy »

Hi

Over the last few months I have noticed that many of the responses that I sent to BT Internet and AOL addresses, and indeed to some of the other free e-mail account providers, just seem to disappear into thin air.

I had a case this morning where, having responded within half an hour to an e-mail enquiry on Friday, and received no response, I called this morning and took a booking for a week at Easter next year. The client insisted that he has seen no reply from me at all, and was very pleased indeed that I had called.

First of all does anybody else have the same experience, and if so is there anything that can be done to stop this happening.

I was wondering whether perhaps there were certain keywords in what I was sending that was triggering their spam traps, and that if other people have experienced the same thing maybe you might know what these words are.

In the meantime I need to be sure to follow up any unanswered responses from these types of addresses!

Best wishes

John
J&J

Post by J&J »

There could be a number of reasons.

Do you use an email address with your domain name, using the i-web solutions server, or do you use an isp or webmail address? Using your domain host mail server is less likely to cause problems unless they are allowing other people to use their servers for sending spam. Try and use a secure smtp server if at all possible.

Do you include any pictures or other images in your emails? Avoid sending gif images in the body of an email.

Do you construct each email from new or do you use the "forward" function from a previously sent email? Always start with a new email or click "reply" rather than use the "forward" button. It's ok to copy and paste from old emails.

Check to see that your email "return address" is set to be the same as the address you are sending from. Sometimes this box is left empty.

If you have multiple email addresses, make sure that your mail client is set-up to use the same smtp account as the account you are sending from. Some mail clients only use one smtp account for all mail accounts which can cause problems because the "return address" may appear different.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Hi

Lots of food for thought there!

My SMTP account is et to Localhost. This domain is a subdomain as my main company e-mail address. and trying to use mail.windermerelodge.co.uk fails for some reason that i have never gone into as localhost seems to work OK.

I do send in line graphics (as I like to try to tart about a bit with heading graphics etc :lol:)

I often use the forward option off a standard email template- I'll make sure I don't do that in future.

Return address was missing - now completed - thanks

Hmmmmm - B***** spammers who cause us all these problems!!! :twisted:

Thaks for the input J&J

Best wishes

John
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

John, this seems to be a regular problem, not just with BT or AOL, but I have had trouble with Hotmail and Tiscali addresses recently too. I use gmail to send all my emails, using a webmail address from my domain. I now send everything in the body of the email, no attachments (I used to send directions etc as word documents)>. Not free from problems though. BT and HOtmail accounts regularly bounce them.