Photo help?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Those with Photoshop will know that it has a useful 'Save for Web' facility, even early versions have it. SFW will give you a preview of four versions side by side of the same picture at the same dpi/size ratio but at different compression levels, allowing you to judge the effects of compression before you upload. You need the images to be small for fast upload but always remember that compression works by throwing data away, so you'll reach a point where quality visibly suffers.

Another good reason for those in Europe to put more money in Adobe's greedy pockets.

Jim
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

hmmm...that would be handy!

in the meantime...I'm still not seeing something/doing something wrong i think...took a random photo from my camera and here's what I get when I download it (to Windows Photo Gallery):
861KB
Dimentions: 2288x1712
Hoizontal Resolution: 72dpi
Vertical Resolution: 72dpi
Bit Depth: 24
Resolution Unit: 2
Color Representation: sRGB
compressed Bits/Pixel: 2

most of this makes no sense to me...except to know that it seems REALLY big and dosen't seem to be right for a webpage.
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Hmm not sure then Brooke maybe I am wrong, but I always thought that when working with images. Anyway Musetta is going to send me a pic to see if I can work out what's wrong so I will have a go and if not maybe someone else can try. Will let you know how I get on!

Looking at what you put above Musetta it looks like the dimensions are big.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

You're right, that is really big. You could print a pretty large photo with that, but for the web it's huge.

If you're going to display it on your website, I'd (save a copy of the original somewhere and then) re-size it so the dimensions are around 500 pixels wide, and then save it at about 85% compression factor (where 100% is no compression). Then load it in your browser and check the image quality. You can experiment with higher/lower compressions and see what it does to your image...

Edit: Rosbif and I posted at the same time! I'm sure the issue will be worked out even more quickly if you're helping. :)
Brooke
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Well Musetta sent me a pic and it was 80cm wide so I think that was the problem, but waiting to hear from her whether the pic is how she wants now.

Just out of interest Brooke, I just changed one photo I have which was 180dpi (not sure why it was that funny amount however!) to 72 dpi and it reduced the file size from 312KB to 128KB, so that does seem to make a difference - at least it did with me anyway! Strange ...

Carole
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Interesting... are you sure that just the dpi changed and not the actual file dimensions?

If I re-size a file using Paint Shop Pro and change the dpi, it automatically changes the pixel dimensions of the image so that the image will print the same size. So if I change the dpi in PSP from 180 to 72, it will also reduce the image dimensions by a factor of 2.5, so the file size would definitely be smaller. But if I change the dpi in the GIMP (another program for image editing), it doesn't change the pixel dimensions, so changing from 180 to 72 or from 72 to 180 doesn't affect the file size at all.
Brooke
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Ah ha you're right it does change the picture dimensions too, I didn't notice that first time!! Well that's probably why I always thought it made a difference then if you changed the dpi, not realising that it changed the dimensions as well!!!

Well I've learnt something new :)
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Well...the ones Carole sent back do look great..."normal" size and not blurry (!) thank you, thank you, thank you!!

but they are still big files...one just under 250kb and one just under 150kb...so should I be concerned about that? I have no idea if those are ok for most people to be able to load the page quickly...seems many people have nice photos that are small files...I think I will give up though and change the actual size...and the compression...and be happy that they are 150-250kb and not crazy like they were at 850kb!
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

I can make them smaller again Musetta if you like, try one on your site as it is without doing anything to it and see if it is too big or not. I have made them 20cm which I guess is still quite big, but it depends how big you want them to come out on the site. I don't think they are that big now to load the pages OK.

If you want me to change any others let me know it doesn't take long to do it. Or if you can edit them yourself try and change the size to roughly 20cm or between 500 and 600 pixels wide.

Carole
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

will do! I will test them out on the site tomorrow...and maybe have a friend with a slow computer tell me if they are viewed ok :-)! Your offer is SO kind! I think I will resize others though using your "guideline" size and see what happens.

thank you everyone so very much for your help! this forum is so wonderful - don't know how I'd do it without you guys!!

p.s. and MOSTLY, thank you for not lauging at me and my ignorant, basic questions!!!!!
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

No problem am happy to help when I can, as its not very often I manage to help someone! :wink: :)

Let us know how you get on.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

I'm not very technical but take a huge amount of photos. I agree about the pixels, for instance most lising companies limit the number of pixels to 400 x 400 or similar to download and it doesnt' effect the clarity at all.

I use PICASA and found this easy to do when emailing, as they offer you the opportunity to set a size for emailing all o0f your photos. I do it so that friends who don't have broadband won't have difficulties in opening them. Check in the email section of your photo programme for something similar.

Chianti