Free sunday times ads..

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
Martha

Post by Martha »

the site's bust on my mac - can't make head or tail of it!

I'll find a PC tomorrow and give it a go :)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It doesn't work very well in anything but IE.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi all,

I just had a call from someone at the STimes telling me that my freespaces ad is not suitable because it contains my weblink which has links to other sites... (ie other lmhers!!)

They clearly check the links to see if it's a single-property owner or a business.

Has anyone else had a call like this?

She did point out that I could advertise with my phone number rather than the web but obviously a link is a better way of pulling in the punters. And I don't like the idea of putting my phone number in the paper.
Lounging on the lily pad...
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

No, I haven't. There's no external links on my home page though, apart from to my blog.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Helen,

My external links aren't on my home page either... I have only internal links there.
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

greenfrog

I had my advert removed, had a call from them to say i was a
business. When i stated i was a private owner they said they did nto agree and if i wished to advertise then i would have to pay
Nessie
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

bad luck, Nessie. Have you tried posting with just a phone number? (although you may have same reservations I do)

Looks like they're getting tough - must be getting enough paid ads now and don't need us "space-fillers" anymore!
The Moles Mother

Post by The Moles Mother »

I had the same experience Nessie. I think, as greenfrog says, they're getting tough.

MM
A vegetarian oasis in the heart of Boeuf Bourguignonne country
http://www.lesbattees.com/
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I was concerned that we might refused because our website sounds like a business from the name, but it must have been last sunday's because we had a phone call on Tuesday......
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

I've had 3 invoices from the ST now for £1.75 each for what was supposed to be a free ad, I've phoned them twice and asked why but the woman just said she would put a query on them and get a sales person to call me, but nothing as yet. I don't intend paying them anyway, but what a stupid amount!

Has anyone else had this?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

No, I haven't, and what odd amounts to invoice you for. I've had so little response I had almost forgotten about them, although I have one active for another week I think. Feel the ad might do better now in the winter sports section, but I suppose that one won't be free.
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Its very odd amounts on the invoice it says £60 then that has been subtracted but leaving this misc thing for £1.75!

I have had no response whatsoever from it so far.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had one phone call , and one email. The phone call was I think browsing through lots of ads at the time. Still nothing ventured, and it cost nowt (or was it £1.75 )
:wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I had one phone call from an exceedingly snooty woman who had mistaken my website for a local holiday rental listing site with a similar name.

She was so rude!! It wasn't that easy to enter the ad, as others found, and that was a pretty poor way of being rewarded for my perseverance!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I did get a call from the Telegraph offering me an advertising package. The same 3 lines were being offered at half the normal price, with an online listing. You only paid for your ad in the paper once you had 30 viewings of your online ad. I asked her to email me the details, but she didn't.