Good or a bad thing?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Sue Dyer

Good or a bad thing?

Post by Sue Dyer »

People are starting to "discover" Northumberland. I saw this article today http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, ... 00,00.html

A former guest also sent me a Daily Mail article about relocating to Northumberland. Some city type had sold up a small flat in the City of London, bought a huge house in our village and extolled its virtues! He also did comment that he didn't like the article cos then too many people would know about the area!

In a way I'm flattered and proud. I work on the Quayside and for the last say 5 years have noticed the increase in tourists. I get a real buzz when I see them taking photos of the bridges and the buildings.

On the other hand I think part of you always worries when your area becomes "the place to be". The more tourists the better for Newcastle but if everyone descends on our deserted beaches in say Bamburgh, then they'll not be deserted anymore, will they!

I guess North Northumberland is probably self limiting for tourist expansion. Parts are National Park and the coast is an "Outstanding Area of Natural Beauty". The whole area has a huge shortage of accommodation. The property market is a big dodgy at the moment but maybe the time to buy Lily Cottage II and III? :lol:

Anyway, Alan, Helen and other northerners "If you're proud to be a Geordie clap your hands" :wink:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Sue,
Anyway, Alan, Helen and other northerners "If you're proud to be a Geordie clap your hands"
I was born within the limits of what used to the City & County of Newcastle upon Tyne and I am therefore by definition a true Geordie. Others may be Northerners but very few of them are true Geordies and hardly any of them is a Northumbrian.

You know as well as I do that in no way whatever is Newcastle the same as Northumberland. Geordies are not Northumbrians and vice versa.

Bamburgh beaches are not in Newcastle and they don’t belong to Newcastle – they are not “our� beaches, they are Northumbrian beaches.

Having said that I think Northumberland, with its enormously varied and beautiful countryside, is the jewel in the crown of England and the stories about the weather are total garbage - garbage oft-repeated by those who have never been there and who don’t know what they are talking about; that’s not to say that their ignorance will ever stop them.

Your former guest commented that he didn't like the article cos then too many people would know about the area! What a NIMBI he must be.

Alan
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Alan, on the same note I watched a programme about the Yorkshire Ripper last night. It always bugs me when they say they were looking for a Geordie. The accent was Mackem (Sunderland) and quite different to me.

The thing about accents here is within a relatively small geographical range they can change quite a bit. Northumberland, Newcastle, Wearside and Teeside (smoggy) are all different. Maybe not to the untrained Southern ear but very distinct to me.

I really like autumn and winter in Northumberland. Love being on the moorland or beaches wrapped up warmly and enjoying the scenery. I consider myself as dual nationality having a place in Newcastle and Northumberland!

I guess for John in Windermere he'll suffer from the "oh, it always rains in the Lake District".
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Sue,
I guess for John in Windermere he'll suffer from the "oh, it always rains in the Lake District".
But it’s simply not true. I was once in the Lake District for a whole day and it didn’t rain at all.

Alan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sue, and long may your cottage be full, and the beaches uncrowded. I'd be horrified if I got to Budle Bay and there was a traffic jam. :D . I am not a true Geordie, although Julian, my hubby, can certainly claim to be. I was born in Consett, so not a Mackem either. My accent is closer to Newcastle than Durham (or at least it was till I moved there)
Windy

Post by Windy »

Ha - This John lives on the coast in sunny Lytham so he doesn't care (although he does wish he could in fact live in the Lakes all the time!)

I remember making a throwaway comment to a shop keeper in Coniston about the constant rain in the Lakes about 10 years ago. My ears are still ringing from the strength of his rebuke!

J
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

I'm fortunate to live in the Lakes and love it. We've just enjoyed four days of clear skies, sunshine and glorious autumn colours. And this summer hasn't been brilliant in terms of warmth, but it has been dry (ish) in the Lake District ... unlike other parts of the UK!

Sue, Northumberland is a gem. We had a fabulous weekend a few years ago on the Northumberland coast. It was November, the sun was shining, the beaches were superb and we were in shorts and T shirts (and the occasional pub!). Have only been to Newcastle once, many moons ago, so I'm probably due another visit but I have fond memories of the markets on the quayside and a friend now works for the Baltic which is certainly inspirational.

I think it's a compliment that your guests are sending you articles on Northumberland. That's real "relationship marketing" or whatever the term is!

Christine