Saying no politely!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

the intial enquiry was fairly well worded and didn't smack of 'scam'. so I answered it but I didn't want the booking so it was a polite 'no'. But when I go the reply I did wonder whether it was a scammer or not.

But I think it probably isn't a scammer, just someone who was P**ssed off at being told no.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

I'd agree with your instincts Nightie, people who use terminology such as 'my dear' to women they don't know are usually the sort that don't like to be told 'no', especially by a female :D
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

"My dear" - yes, seriously patronising woman-to-woman put-down. Enough to get me pawing the ground with my hoof!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Ah yes GG but this was, I believe, 'man to woman', even worse :twisted: :twisted:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Oops, so it was, Party! I'd still be pawing though. Hmpphh!! :evil: This enquiry was for the London apartment was it Nights? How could he think for a minute that he'd find, negotiate, sign for and complete on a purchase within that time frame? Did he expect that you'd refuse all bookings for slots following, just in case the poor man was still homeless?

He must have known he was being unreasonable; the risk he was exposing you to was pretty obvious, he's just too mean to sign a standard rental contract for the minimum 6 months.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Marty

Post by Marty »

I don't reject many bookings as I find they can be a bit thin on the ground where we are, but I did once find myself in the position of not wanting to have a group of 6 twenty somethings staying in my house, so I just said something like "really sorry but I took a booking yesterday for 3 weeks for the dates you wanted. Really sorry, but I haven't had chance to update my calendar yet."

It made me look a fool probably but it did the trick without actually saying the words!