PDF version of your website?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Garri wrote:Alan, I can see the benefit of PC users using PDFOnline to convert Word to PDF files but I still can't see the benefit of using it for your site visitors. Emailing them a PDF file, fair enough, but saving a site as a PDF file? Hmmmm....maybe.
I think we have a little misunderstanding here.

I think there are many benefits to be had from PDF files. I think storing PDF files in a central archive on the internet is great. But, converting a web site to a PDF file and storing it anywhere? I suspect that neither you nor I see any point in that.

Alan
Garri

Post by Garri »

Alan, since I've moved away from the need to print stuff professionally (my record label etc) I no longer have any need for PDFs, so admittedly my opinion on them with regard to websites is tainted.

The challenge these days, as far as websites go, is to create and style content that can be read by any device. The combination of non-proprietary technologies such as: xml, html and css can achieve that.

PDFs, for me, are more useful in the print world than by websites, which after all should be able to deliver and print out content perfectly using just 2 of the technologies listed above.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Whatever the ins and outs of having a PDF version of your website, one things's for sure, and that's the link for simple Word to PDF conversion gets this month's Chocolate Kettle award for me. One in three submissions gets ignored, and the turnaround is from 5 to 40 mins even when it does come through.

MG