How do we find a caretaker?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Joanna

How do we find a caretaker?

Post by Joanna »

We have a cleaning company but we really need someone trustworthy and local to act as caretaker - check up on the cleaners, see to the extras like the welcome pack and be on call for emergencies. Maybe do the cleaning as well.

We tried an ad in the local news agents window with no luck. Any suggestions for the best place to advertise?
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hi Jo. Your cottages looks beautiful - which is hopefully a plus point for guests and potential caretakers/cleaners.

We're based in the Lake District where caretakers and cleaners are like gold dust - particularly if you want them on call on Saturdays. One or two thoughts:

1. We have a local company called "Cottage Angels" who provide the full range of services for self catering cottages, from cleaners to someone to install a new bathroom. They may know folk in your area. If you PM me, I will dig out their details for you.

2. In the Lakes, there are various holiday cottage letting agencies (eg, Heart of the Lakes, Lakelovers). Not sure if there is a similar organisation for Chester, but they may be able to help (at a price!). Someone we know is the manager/caretaker for quite a few holiday cottages in the area (on behalf of the letting agency) and someone else does the cleaning.

3. Do you know any other holiday cottage owners who are based locally who would be interested in working with you?

4. How about approaching someone like a school caretaker who may be interested in weekend/school holiday work? Not sure how you would find them, but in our village we would go into the local shop and ask if they knew who to contact.

5. Look in the local paper to see who the local "handyman" is. They may be able to help; or may know someone who can.

Hope the above helps .... or at least gets the ball rolling.

Good luck :wink:
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I think we've found someone - I started asking around our neighbours and one of them said she'd be interested. She used to run a B&B and seems to have a pretty good idea of what we want. We'll try a 3 month trial from January and hopefully it'll work out.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Joanna :) ,
Thats Good News.
A Good Caretaker is key to running a good business I feel..Id be lost without mine.
Hope it works out for you and Good Luck for the Future!!

Take Carexx
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Aren't neighbours wonderful!!! That's brilliant news, Joanna. Hope it all works out.

Happy Christmas!