Webcams

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

If mine gets iced up I'm moving further south :D
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I know it's dragged up every time we discuss webcams, but I have to admit the Univ. of S. Carolina's Madagascan Hissing Cockroaches are a great example of how useful a webcam can be, although a roach cam may not be ideal for a holiday home, obviously.

MG
Wol

Post by Wol »

You may already know this one, but this has to be the best use of a 'webcam' ever: http://cheddarvision.tv/
Wol
Not the Wizard of Aus - that's MOH

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

In the USA I see you can shoot deer online using a webcam. Could be a solution for problem guests!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Cheddarvision is very soothing to watch, especially as Mrs MG was getting bored of our goldfish family plugged through to the plasma - she's complained we look like a Chinese restaurant entrance. *

I've gone ahead with the StarDot webcam kit, from the UK supplier, so watch this space as we're aiming to install next week.

I hadn't realised there was such a wide webcam community, and we're hoping to be on at least 20 travel/guide sites with it. I'm not confident about any extra resultant punters, but the inbound links may be useful.

On a smaller budget (our last cam was £25 on eBay) and assuming you've got a live home broadband network anyway, it could perhaps be a very cost effective route to stacks of valuable inbound links?

MG
* just kidding
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Please keep us posted with costs, mechanics (if one can say that these days) and results!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

OK, will do. You might find it useful to get a temporary webcam just to play around with, and experiment with views, type of lens, lighting, problems with direct sunlight, ice, snow, cable feeds, power supply (you can feed the 12v power needed, say, down the CAT5 network cable, which could save a hassle with double wiring).

MG
Elle1971

Post by Elle1971 »

kevsboredagain wrote:In the USA I see you can shoot deer online using a webcam. Could be a solution for problem guests!
Now THERE'S a thought! :lol:

Elle xx
Free advertising for owners of pet friendly accommodation