Serial connection

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Mountain Goat

Serial connection

Post by Mountain Goat »

I rather urgently need a serial connection to my laptop (9 pin) to configure a webcam. The only thing which looks like a serial port has 15 pins (extra monitor?).

Is there any workaround or conversion path via USB?

Thanks.

MG
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Only solution I know is to try and buy a 10 year old laptop !
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

MG,

Forget your 15 pin serial plugs; they’re for RGB monitors and the like. Serial ports and parallel ports are things of the past.

If your webcam only has a serial port then you should refer your enquiry to the Victoria & Albert Museum.

The answer is - connect your webcam to a USB port. It’s called “plug-and-play�. If your hardware and your software are anything like up-to-date you simply plug it in and it will play (possibly after a bit of fiddling with the settings).

If “plug-and-play� doesn’t work you should go to the website of the webcam manufacturer and download the latest drivers, then “plug-and-play� will work.

Alan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Thanks, Alan. Unfortunately V & A couldn't help.

Amongst techies using a serial port doesn't seem to raise an eyebrow. It was just a workaround as the webcam can be configured via a browser on the 'net, but for some reason that doesn't work on the domestic network we are using. It's a solid bit of kit, and very different from the eBay cheapo we've had for a couple of years.

BTW, eRichard, there is a serial/USB converter, but obscure supplier.

Not quite ready to release the results to the masses, but will let you know when it's live.

MG
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

MG,

Sorry about that. As one who was brought up on RS-232 serial cabling I was trying to be a bit “modern�.

On a serious note, using a USB port I’ve never had any problems with setting up the “video-monitor� software supplied with Webcams.

Alan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

USB? That's a bit advanced for this bit of gear.

Back to the reindeer lights - got to get our priorities right.

MG
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

MG,
That's a bit advanced for this bit of gear.
In which case go to the website of the webcam manufacturer and download the latest drivers.

Alan
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

You can buy USB/Serial convertors pretty cheap. Once had to get one to delete data from an old GPS device before selling it on eBay because I no longer had a PC with a serial port.