Cost of new domaine

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
la vache!

Cost of new domaine

Post by la vache! »

I know I've seen some info on this on another thread, but I can't find it! I want to buy a .fr domaine name so my site (currently only a .co.uk domaine) will (hopefully!) get listed on Google.fr. I've found one which is available, and a French webhost who have quoted 79€. Is this expensive in other people's experience?
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Susan,

Try www.online.net

They charge €6.95 Euros per year for .fr it seems. I was considering doing the same for a while.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Clexane,

Good price! Do you know if that's just to register the domain, or whether that includes redirecting that domain to an existing website?
Brooke
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Clexane,
it is a very good price, the best I've seen. However when I tried to register yesterday, it didn't give you the option of just buying the name, you have to choose a hosting package as well, and the cheapest puts the price up to 129€. I have e-mailed them to ask about the situation and have not yet received a response, I'll let you know!
Susan
petehols

Post by petehols »

Hi Susan

This is an extremely expensive price even with the webhosting. My webhost charges £9.99 for main and web hosting so I don't think that would be a competitive quote you have got. Surf the net a bit you can always find some names, hosting etc for the price you want to pay. If you want the name of my host pm me and I will gladly supply. Don't want to put it on the forum incase accused of advertising.

Regards

Pete
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

I just went back there and it seems the price has gone up to €15. I thought you could only get the domain there and point it elsewhere.

Let us know how you go Susan. I never ended up going through with it.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Clexane,
Yes I did go ahead with it, before I was misreading the price as I looked at the FF instead of the € price, in the end it cost about 18€.
However, nothing is up and running yet, I am having some problems with their support desk. All I want to do is park my existing .co.uk website onto the new domaine, but one of the nameservers has not been authorised, no idea why as the host of my existing website has been very helpful in giving me all the info. However, I am no techie and am finding the response times to queries with their support desk a little frustrating!
If anyone has any advice on what needs to be done in order to achieve my existing website showing on the new one, I would be very grateful!
petehols

Post by petehols »

Hi Susan

Who is your host? do you have access to your domain control panel? This shouldn't be a big hassle all you should have to do is log into your control panel on your hosts server . choose your new domaine name and point it to your existing domain. That would mean any time someone types in your new domain it will be showing your existing website. I done the exact same thing when i registered my .com and linked it to the .co.uk

If you have any problems pm me the details and i can talk you through it once I know who your host is.

Hope this helps

Regards

Petehols
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Petehols,
The host of the new domaine is online.net, but haven't got a clue how to access the control panel. My .co.uk hosts have given online.net the nameservers so that my old site shows on the new domaine, but unfortunately they have so far not passed the French control, AFNIC, there is some problem. So at the moment we are trying to resolve this and then hopefully it will work. Thankyou for your offer to help, I appreciate this, if it doesn't work out by Friday I'll let you know!
Thanks,
Susan