Sun-Sun Enquiry. would you take it?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

I'll second all the advice, wait a while. I just had an enquiry for 16th to 27th July (wed to Sun) which would have been nice as I don't mind accepting mid week arrivals up to then but leaving on a Sunday was a no goer, especially as it would leave me 13 nights till the next booking. I suggested a one nighter in Seville but heard nothing yet :cry:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Musetta

Which airport is your closest, Roma? I think guests are daft if they can't cope with 1 night in Roma or Napoli, it's also convenient as they are near the airport, if indeed it is your nearest.

I wouldn't take it either at this early stage.

Chianti
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

I did take a sun to sun peak season booking once in our early days of setting up - result ? I lost a week either side - 2 weeks income because of it. The shift of pattern never did fit into place. It really is far too early yet. It is a popular time of year for those of us in South Europe so hang on, have courage, I'm sure you'll be proved right.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Chanti- no actually, Rome is the furthest...that said, I always fly into Rome (direct flights from NYC) and many of my guests seem to as well....even though it's a 3 1/2 hour drive (!) the flights tend to be cheaper. Naples is the closest (1 1/2 hours)...Bari the easiest (I think) - almost 2 hours, but a really easy drive...Pescara is about 3 hours...but haven't had anyone who was flyinig in there...all have done Rome or Naples.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Musetta

The fact that most people fly in to Roma, makes spending a night there all the more worthwhile because it's so much less stressful getting there a day early, in comparison to having to shoot up the autostrada and worry about missing ones flight. Try to suggest it and possibly offer them a link to several hotel groups or a list of them. That way you won't lose out, or I hope not.

Chianti
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

As most of the others have said I wouldnt take it.
I only do Sat-Sat from May-Oct.
Especially as you have so much more time, to fill the weeks.
I know as its still early days for you, its a worry ,weve all been there, but Im sure you will get more enquiries/bookings.
Good Luck with whatever you decide :wink:
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We allow people to arrive and leave on any day of the week. Quite a lot still book Sat-Sat, especially in the skiing season. It just means that all the people who want flexible dates are especially grateful when they find us - and there are plenty of them. The longest dead time we have between bookings at the moment is 2 nights - it is a relief to have break from same day changeovers.

I guess the answer is: you have to do one or the other - either all Sat-Sat, or all flexible (in the latter case you will still get some Sat-Sat in our experience). I can see that being mainly Sat-Sat and allowing some flexibility might not work well. if guests want flexibility to start with, they can often vary their dates to fit in with what we have have available.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have rarely more than one or two vacant nights when I've accepted alternative dates. As I charge slightly more per night for a short break, it is usually no financial loss either.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hi Musetta. I'm a bit late into the debate, but it's an interesting question.

In our high season (roughly Easter to end of October) we only take weekly bookings from Saturday to Saturday. Out of season we take all sorts of combinations and tend to make more money because we take more short breaks. It does surprise me how many people are happy to fit in with what you've got available .... even in November.

We've now got three cottages and we let one of them on a Friday to Friday basis (can't face cleaning three cottages on a Saturday :roll: ). This does deter some people, but the advantage is that potential guests seem to expect a Mon to Fri/Fri to Mon pattern and if I get a Mon to Fri booking, even in high season, I take it and charge a premium, 'cos I know I can book the weekend.

But it does depend on where you are and what your potential market is. We're in the Lake District, most of our guests are from the UK and we're not dependent on flights or ferries .... just how bad the traffic jams are on the M6 motorway!

At this time of year I would accept a Sunday to Sunday booking (and have currently got one Wednesday to Sunday booking for the end of January) but in the main season I would not accept a Sunday to Sunday booking at any of our properties as it effectively has an impact on two weeks' bookings.

I agree with everyone else who has said go for the Saturday to Sunday. You never know. And if they go elsewhere, the likelihood is that you will get another booking.

Have a good season and enjoy your bookings.