Is my Website OK for attracting potential renters?

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
lemaire

Is my Website OK for attracting potential renters?

Post by lemaire »

Hello,

Please would you spend a few minutes to look at my Website? http://alicantegolf.netfirms.com/

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

Best regards
Annie
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Looks a lovely place but you've hidden it so much in the website. On the home page the photos are so merged together you can't see much. The text is not tidy and the bold fonts make your eyes dart around so sentences are hard to read.
Then on the next page the font is huge and the thumbnails tiny.
One page further and the fonts have shrunk again and the thumbnails are still tiny. With so much spare white space available you may as well make use of it.

As I said the place looks great and I'm sure with a bit of layout changes the website could really attract guests.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Just checked with different web browsers and the big fonts only show up in Firefox but not in IE6. If I get some time I'll have a look to see why.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Lots of html errors in there

<font size= "5"> is causing Firefox to fall over and not use the "left" style.

There are </p> missing and semicolons missing on styles.

Probably worth running through a validator to highlight some of the problems.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Just a small point -

you are using netfirms paid hosting, but haven't bought your own domain name.

A domain for 2 years from Godaddy is USD 20 (.com), which is cheap. They have offers on .net etc from USD 3 per year.

I think it portrays a better image of the site, as well as improving your google positioning.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
lemaire

Post by lemaire »

Thanks for your answers

kevsboredagain:

I am working at the moment improving the text, bold fonts and the collage photograph on the homepage.
I have already corrected the semicolons missing.

Concerning "thumbnails tiny": if I make them bigger, would the time to open the page not be too long?

I ran "SiteReportcard", they gave 22 warnings (most for "unescaped & or unknown entity", "<table> lacks "summary" attribute", "<hr> proprietary attribute "color")

mpprh:
Thanks for this.
I don't know very much about domain names but found a name .net (on the site you mentioned) I like available at 8€/year.

When I finished rebuilding my Website, I will look at more Info concerning domain names and eventually changing hosting.

Thanks again

Annie
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Annie,

Having only had a swift look at your site, I wondered where you got the German translated? I only ask because I think it would be worth rechecking it...

RR
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

lemaire wrote:Thanks for your answers

mpprh:
Thanks for this.
I don't know very much about domain names but found a name .net (on the site you mentioned) I like available at 8€/year.

When I finished rebuilding my Website, I will look at more Info concerning domain names and eventually changing hosting.

Thanks again

Annie
Hi

Netfirms are OK as hosts.

Just that I think that it would help to have your own domain name. I know that the golf club has got http://www.alicantegolf.com , but a similar name would help you. And a .com is better than the others.

I started with a free netfirms hosting account, and a .netfirms.com url (then, it was the only free url I could find without the word free) before changing to my own domain.
http://tlp.netfirms.com is still in place - it forwards to my new (2004) domain.

The longer you leave it, the more difficult it gets for google (and all the inward links) to update.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
lemaire

Post by lemaire »

Rocket Rab

I used any translator free on the Web because I speak, understand but not write correctly in German and that is where the translator helps me.

If you have no strong basic in German language or other language, don't go for free translation, you will be very surprised how bad they translate.

Agree with you going to the German Market, the majority of my enquiries and bookings are now coming from German People.

Annie
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

Just another comment on the collage type photos. I find them confusing to view - perhaps it's my eyesight, but it's difficult for me to see the separation between the images.
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru