Does my new site look good?

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.

Do you like my new website?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:28 am

It's great
50%
Try harder
50%

Total votes: 12

Jake

Does my new site look good?

Post by Jake »

I have used Rent8.com to create a new website for my apartment in Kuala Lumpur.

Please let me know your opinion!

www.kualalumpurcondo.com

Thanks!

Jake
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

Jake,

I think basically it's good. It looks attractive. The only bit of the factual stuff that I wouldn't have understood is the area which is quoted in Sq Ft. I'm more used to Sq. Metres and mainland Europeans wouldn't have any idea what Sq Ft are.

I would add some practical info about public transport locally and airport transfers.

On the presentation side, there are some fairly long pages of text with no pictures. If you are able to slot some random thumbnails alongside the text, it would make it more engaging.

And I'm a fine one to talk. We did our web page for our Scottish cottage back in 1996 when I was very new to web stuff and haven't really bothered changing it since, which leaves it looking rather rough (to be polite). Still, it has character.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Cool website. More questions than answers though:

Is it always that dark in KL ?

All your pictures seem to be taken either at night or when the sky is overcast. I can see whay night pictures may be arty, but are they welcoming ?

Only 1 very slight negative was the look of the rooms/features page. Its long and busy. I liked the green ticks, but perhaps some bolder sub-headings, perhaps putting the ticked items in fixed width columns ? Anything to make the page look less jumbled, and more organised.... the content is super-efficient, but lost in the jumble.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Windy

Post by Windy »

I liked it but agree about the cloudy weather pictures.

I didn't like the ticks - if you are going to list something it presumably qualifies for a tick doesn't it (unless you were going to have some crosses too). I'd be tempted to use a simpler thing like a dot.

Otherwise quite clean and tasty
LPaul

Post by LPaul »

Jake

I like it. It does have quite a contemporary, corporate accommodation feel to it rather than a contemporary holiday look. (Not that there is anything wrong with that)

It was only on my second visit to the site (which you wont always get from potential customers) that I noticed the header images alternate.
I think this is a good idea however on my second visit your home page image was of a ceiling fan. I think it may be a good idea to fix the home page with a shot that gives the best first impression making people want to delve further into the site.

Paul

www.labarde.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

LPaul wrote:
It was only on my second visit to the site (which you wont always get from potential customers) that I noticed the header images alternate.
I think this is a good idea however on my second visit your home page image was of a ceiling fan. I think it may be a good idea to fix the home page with a shot that gives the best first impression making people want to delve further into the site.

Paul
I agree - the airconditioning unit photo is not the most attractive one to get when you first land on the site either! You have some lovely shots of the pool, so I'd stick to one of those.
The site is clean, but quite a lot of text with no photos to break it up - that might make it easier on the eyes (particularly the things to do page). And I'm not sure if all the font is the right size (but that could just be me). I agree with WL's comments about the ticks.
But it looks a nice clean site generally.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hi Jake and congratulations on a lovely website. Your apartment looks stunning.

I agree with the comments above. My comments relate to your photos (which in your case should really sell your apartment):

1. I thought I was looking at a hall table. It wasn't until a later photo that I realised it was the dining table. It would look more inviting if the table were set for dinner or breakfast.

2. Likewise, with the bedrooms. I don't think people want a picture of the mattress and the mattress protector. Show the beds made up. It looks much more inviting.

Hope the above helps. Good luck with your rentals.
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

Hi Jake

Nice clean site and I go along with most of the suggestions here particularly Christine's about making the bed with attractive bedding. The second bedroom shot is also a little stark even though the bed is made up - perhaps a picture on the wall and a bedside lamp would make it more ambient and inviting.
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
fibi

Post by fibi »

I really like it, presumably you may get a lot of Singaporeans and the sq ft details, air con pictures etc will be important to them. The only point that I would make is that it does look a bit unfinished with no bedside tables,lamps or bedding but Fab views of the towers.

I was surprised to see your very low prices though...we stayed in Singpore from 1998 to 2001 and paid US$6000 a month for a slightly larger apartment not as nicely furnished - KL prices were a bit less but not much. We were in KL 2 years ago stayed at the Legend and paid $350 a night for a one bedroomed suite your place looks a bargain and there is not a great deal of supply either- I know because I looked very hard for a place like yours!

Good luck!
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi Jake,

Overall, I like the look of the site but don't quite understand the design. It took me a few minutes to realise that your page header photos change each time you click through - that's a nice idea but in that case I would remove the fan and aircon unit pix from your photo gallery. They're not enticing at the top of a page. Perhaps you could put them on the page with the features?

I'm with others who don't like the green ticks. I think features look better in list format, eg a bullet list. And it would be nice to break up that page with some photos.

Also, you say there's a view of the TwinTower but I didn't see that til about page 3 - I would pin that photo to one of your pages as the header photo. Once I realised, I could see it reflected in the living room window (v nice pic) but you really don't see that until you're made aware of it. It's a unique selling point and I would push it more. The pic of the pool is fab too.

Small error on your contact page: you have +44 twice in the number.
(I would also query your use of the word "giant" for the bathroom sink... a little ott, perhaps? :wink: )

The property looks gorgeous and your photos are good, I just think they could be put to better use.

Best of luck with the rentals!
Lounging on the lily pad...
cambalala

Post by cambalala »

love the site look and feel... but you are definitley lacking pictures on your "The Property" and "Things to do" page.

You don't only want to sell your apartment but the location too. I've been to KL and know how beautiful it is - So I reackon a few pics between all the text on both these pages could break it up nicely and make it all the more inviting.
www.cambalala.com - 3D Virtual Tour
Website On: Wordpress.
Booking Software: PIMS) - Yay!