The Forum Itself

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Alan Knighting

The Forum Itself

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paolo,

A question.

France Telecom hasn’t yet got round to offering broadband (ADSL) in my commune. It might happen this Christmas and if it does I will sign up. Currently I am on ISDN and therefore rather conscious of on-line cost. I dip in and out of the Forum logging in and logging out as I go.

If I disconnect without logging out of the Forum is my log in timed out or am I hogging your recourses?

A reaction.

I have been involved in other vaguely similar forums and I did not have a happy experience. They were very specific and limited in their topics and seemed to be populated by aggressive, blinkered and self-opinionated people who were running their own personal agendas.

This forum is just the opposite. It seems to me that just about anything can be a topic and all topics are conducted in a totally open, friendly and non-aggressive way. I like it and I hope it stays this way!

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Alan,

Don’t worry, you are not hogging resources at all. I am sure that when you disconnect you are automatically logged out but even if you are not it really isn’t an issue.
aggressive, blinkered and self-opinionated people who were running their own personal agendas
You will get these people on any forum. It’s very easy to get aggressive and argumentative in a virtual world where you are not accountable for what you say. I hope we won’t get them here, but if we do I've got a button here that deletes any rude posts, and another one that bans trouble-makers!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paolo,

Let's hope they don't arrive but press the button if they do.

Alan
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

The Forum seems to be going along very nicely. Lots of subjects being addressed and lots of information being shared but by relatively few people. I think what it now needs is a much larger body of members.

Do others agree or would they prefer to keep the Forum at its present size?

Should the present members spread the word or should it be left to Paolo to take the Forum forward?

Would it be a good idea if the members were to encourage their friends, acquaintances and colleagues to join the Forum, hopefully as active members?

Alan
BungleBob

Tell everybody - we are!

Post by BungleBob »

We've been telling our owners/advertisers about the forum and (anecdotally) I think there's a lot more people reading than participating. It's a great place to send anybody in need of general renting advice and we'd love to see it grow. Go for it!
PeeJay

Post by PeeJay »

Hi all

Have been an interested **reader** for a while and have made good use of the excellent advice obtained from the newsletters and from reading posts.

Have not yet been enticed into posting on topics.

My impression of the forum is that it is currently based around the French and Italian markets and would be interested in seeing it broaden its appeal to others areas.

Regards Pete
Last edited by PeeJay on Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tansy

Post by tansy »

Couldn't agree more..I was thinking today whilst walking my dogs how much I've learnt from the forum...but I do worry about being Mrs Bucketmouth...my husband says when I go quiet - let me guess you are on the forum! But I have always been able to defend myself with the new bits and bobs I've picked up... more folk though participating would be great - there have been some very healthy viewing figures on some of the topics.

Has Yan March looked in yet from Costa Rica (now that is a house to die for on the beach) http://www.themarchhouse.com if you have Yan - hello...still waiting to hear when you're over!!

Yes I have been reccommending fellow owners to join!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Tansy - don't worry - I think I'm tying as joint bucketmouth of LMH too!!!

You're always going to get people who take part and people who are just interested - sometimes it just takes something that fires them to post?

I too have found the info sharing very useful and just interesting to read from such a cross section of folk from around the globe.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I'm of the 'If you build it they will come' school. I think a forum like this will pick up slowly at first, then when it reaches a critical mass it will snowball.

I say 'a forum like this' because we rental owners are not like teenagers in their bedrooms. I don't have any data to back this up but I reckon if you took the average rental-owning couple, they would be in their fifties and nervous about the internet. I get lots of emails from readers of the newsletter with questions or suggestions, and I do recommend they should post something in this forum because they will find the people here very helpful and friendly. But so far I don't think any of them has made it here - it probably seems too daunting, and perhaps time-consuming.

I'm grateful to all you frequent posters who are keeping the momentum going - Tansy, on this forum you are a VIP, not a 'bucketmouth' :D It's really nice to feel you are getting to know others through the forum.

Growth is organic. I'm doing what I can to get it known on the internet, and those that do learn of it are all very positive about it.

Word-of-mouth is a good way to increase the number of active posters, so do tell other rental owners about it.

Don't think that only the regulars here are reading your posts. There are lots more visitors who just read the threads, which they can do without registering. There is already a load of good advice for them here. When they are ready, they'll take the plunge and get posting.

Keep up the good work!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

[/quote]

Paolo, you are usually spot on in whatever you post, though regarding the "average age of 50" bit, I'm afraid I don't qualify!
Malta – always in the sunshine!
PeeJay

Post by PeeJay »

Hi Paolo

Just to back up your theory.

We are in our early fifties and just coming to the end of our first year as renters. It has exceeded our wildest expectations 26 weeks in total out of an available 36 weeks and we have 14 weeks already booked for 2005.

We use the internet to advertise and to recieve and confirm bookings and to advice the local agents for changeovers and cleans.

We have now decided to invest in a second brand new luxury 2 bed apartment which is due to be completed in May 2005 and will continue to use the internet for the business.

I work from home on a partly computer/internet based freelance business so can fit the rental work in around the other work

This is Los Diamantes complex based at the back of the main resort area.

Pete