alternate forms of advertising

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
Eileen2

Re: alternate forms of advertising

Post by Eileen2 »

I don't think you are a cynic Musetta, you are right there are so many things that can delay a completion. Probably the best advice for anyone is to read all our experiences, but to make a decision based on their builders past record on completing on time and also how organised you are yourself...

We started purchasing the contents for the villa here in the U.K and in Greece early on in the build process then putting it into storage in an empty apartment in our village in Corfu. Also you have to start very early organising the management side of the villa so that it falls into place like clockwork, luckily ours did. There was a huge list of purchases and things 'still to buy' so that we did not double up on anything...I still managed to buy too many glasses....then there was the 'to do' list that went on and on, but it all paid of in the end as we needed to get the villa up and running asap to bring the cash.

Peter, re-posting on a forum in your target area...I would also advise this too. It is exactly what I did. Not ever directly advertising or mentioning the villa but just by having it underneath my signature generated a lot of interest.

Eileen.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Peter, re-posting on a forum in your target area...I would also advise this too. It is exactly what I did. Not ever directly advertising or mentioning the villa but just by having it underneath my signature generated a lot of interest.
I don't understand what you mean here.

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Topcat. I'm lucky that there is a forum for the village in which my property is in. It is a lively and friendly forum which I've dabbled in since it's beginning. I enjoy watching the forum grow, helping it's members and perhaps encouraging new visitors to the area. The upside of my numerous postings is that my website is mentioned underneath each of my signatures thus targeting forum visitors or members who are particularly interested in my area.

I also post on another much larger forum which covers the whole island, this forum reaches a much wider audience but less likely to hit the target.

Another way is to target forums dedicated to a particular interest or hobby relevant to your holiday property area.

One thing I've found is that none of them are too keen to 'allow' blatant promotion or advertising. Personally I'm not keen on it either, much better to gain respect and then hopefully potential bookings through helping others...IMHO of course!

Trip Advisor has good forums for most countries/cities & towns. I have had two bookings made through my postings on T.Advisor. They are very strict about advertising but you can mention your website if it is relevant to a question being asked. For instance I've pointed a member towards the photo album on my website when they have asked about a particular village. You can also send a member a private message if they are asking for details of accommodation in your area.

Eileen.

Holiday Villa Rental in Arillas, Corfu,
Greece
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Oh, right, I see. Actually there is a local forum for our area, but we can't put our web-site on it as the person who set it up also runs a listing site!

But that's good advice about TA - I hadn't thought about it in that way.
Thanks,

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Wol

Post by Wol »

TC - The Wizard is busy working on his fan base in TA, and does much as Eileen does. I think when the time comes, it will be worth it - similar to word of mouth.
Wol
Not the Wizard of Aus - that's MOH

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

If anyone doubts the benefits of a signature in an appropriate forum, let me tell you my tale. I have looked for ages for a suitable kayaking forum. My apartment is opposite one of the best stretches of rafting/kayaking water in the Alps. I found one recently, and posted my apartment in the appropriate section, with the link in the signature. I have had 5% of the referrals to my website from there since the start of February, and two enquiries for May.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hmm, Helen, that's good advice - you've got me thinking! Thanks! :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
olive

kayaking forum

Post by olive »

Helen, Could you give us the name of the kayaking forum please?
Thank you!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

... do many people use good old newsagents' windows?
Me, for one. I can never resist hand-written ads in shop windows. I saw one recently in a small village shop that said 'Window cleaner. Bungalows only unless you have a ladder.' Comedy writers get paid a fortune for stuff that's not half as funny.

Jim
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

www.ukriversguidebook.com/forum but there are others I think. Another enquiry yesterday too.
davey2187

Flyers

Post by davey2187 »

Interesting to see how many teenagers want to earn a few £ by delivering flyers, also have an advert in a local free glossy mag this week
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've got a new line in advertising, I am offering a 3 night pre-Xmas break at the apartment as a prize in a draw at the Ski show in Birmingham this weekend.
scaliwells

Post by scaliwells »

Hi Helen

That sounds interesting, so how did that all come about. Did you donate it, or do people have to buy a ticket from you?

:?
www.boussais.com (english version)
www.boussais.webs.com (version francaise)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Scaliwells, the dates were donated to the SnowHeads ski forum. Everyone registering on the forum at the ski show was entered into the draw. The prize winners stayed free of charge from the 8th-11th January, and extended their stay and paid for a late check out. I was hoping they would then leave me some good feedback on the forum, but I haven't heard from them since their return.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Ahem : :wink:
Another idea is to try advertising on Facebook or Titter for free, both have popular threads going here at the mo..... :D