A nice way to say we have no garden/terrace(?)

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Musetta

A nice way to say we have no garden/terrace(?)

Post by Musetta »

Well....third enquiry this season that wanted to know about outdoor space :-( - which we don't have. I know that a place with no garden just won't do for many people...and that's ok...I can't make one where there's none: -) but I'm trying to come up with a nice way of saying "no" and not loosing bookings, if possible, over it.

The house is in a historic center...all the homes are attatched and built into the hillside (as most all Italian hill towns) - so no gardens...some homes have a terrace...but mine does not. Lots of benches in town...and a children's park...and lots of cafe and bars and restaurants with outdoor seating...but, somehow, I doubt this is what people mean by "outdoor" space :-(

I guess just an honest, simple "no" is the best - should I mention the cafe, etc. or does that seem pushy you think?

Also, I'm thinking of buying a nice wraught-iron bench for next to the fron enterance and maybe some pretty pots of flowers next to it...do you think that would help? (it's a pedestrian-only street that the enterance is on) at least people could sit outside with a book or something? (not too much space though - so justa little bench for two people)? silly idea?
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I think you probably do need to say no but you can always add some explanation.
I think the bench and pots idea is excellent!
Martha

Post by Martha »

I think the bench and pots is a lovely idea. Sit with a book and enjoy the peaceful pace of village life etc etc. I would like that, especially with a nice photo of the spot.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

At the moment we are trying to decide on accommodation in Sardinia and finding it a little difficult to find what we are looking for which also has some sort of outside sitting area.

I would be quite happy with a bench and a few pots around me so I'd agree that it's a lovely idea. You may also find that once you put a photo on your website with a little text describing the seating area (as Martha says." Sit with a book and enjoy the peaceful pace of village life etc") enquirers may not have to ask if you have any outside space.

Eileen.

Holiday Villa Rental in Arillas, Corfu,
Greece

www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/corfu/16624

www.yourholidaymatters.com/greece.php
paolo

Post by paolo »

I would try to make a positive out of a negative, and say something like "The outside space is the village, and previous guests have enjoyed finding a cafe or shaded bench to read or watch the world go by."
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Thanks!!
Will go bench and flower shopping in a few weeks when I'm there (and hope the garden centers are stocked this early! and that neighbors can be bribed to water the flowers ;-) ) and hope for a sunny week so I can take a great photo.

Paolo - nicely put :-) I will steal some of that if it's alright!

I knew you all would have great ideas!
Thank you!
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

We had the same problem with a cottage we used to have, Musetta. We put a bench outside, described it as a sun trap (which it was when the sun shone in the Lake District :wink: ), took a photo with a bottle of wine and some glasses and people loved it.

Suggest you "borrow" Paolo's word and supplement them with the bench. You've already got the sunshine!! Most people will be happy with somewhere where they can relax al fresco with a glass of wine or a mug of coffee. Even better if you also get to watch the world go by.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Christine Kenyon wrote:Even better if you also get to watch the world go by.
.... and to practise your Italian! :D Substitute novel for phrase book and the guests will be everyone's friends!!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

Musetta, I've just clicked on your website and the first picture I saw does look like a little a small terrace.

Does this confuse potential guests?
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

thanks! will add a caption just to make sure...photo was taken from the "street" - all little, pedestrian-only streets with loggia, etc. as the homes are built into the hillside; will certainly make sure to clarify.