Word-Of-Mouth - great ideas

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
willemijn

ask permission first

Post by willemijn »

I think it can help to have testimonials, but only with real names and the places people come from. However, this is only possible after asking for permission.
I would not put a guestbook on the website, because I have seen guestbooks totally spammed. Therefore, the only way to avoid that is to copy testimonials directly on the website.

Even if someone will not be convinced by this, I don't think it will put somebody of?
Willemijn Lindeboom
www.villainumbria.com
debk

Post by debk »

hi, willemijn -

someday i would like to create a lovely personalized guestbook... but for now we use the free one from rentors.org. it is quite ugly but guests, as i mentioned before, still read it faithfully.

as you can see from the link, it doesn't include email addresses (tho one guest specifically did) which as you point out could be a spam magnet.

http://www.rentors.org/guestbook.cfm?pid=29726
ThaiCharles

Postcards

Post by ThaiCharles »

A small scale idea is to provide a supply of attractive postcards of your property, ready stamped. Then you offer to post them direct from your vacation rental.

This encourages guests to fill them in and sent them out...free advertising!
debk

Post by debk »

Hello, Charles -

Welcome to LMH!

Good to see this thread revived. While extending a welcome, I'll also update my last comment from 2005 (above): we finally tired of the rentors.org "look" and I now copy/paste the comments directly onto our website. I think this gives the whole site a more coordinated look and feel.

http://visitingportugal.com/holiday-ren ... onials.htm

Also, Charles, great idea about postcards. There is a very popular postcard on sale in every shop here in Lisbon... lovely view of the main plaza including the window of one of our places peering down over everything. I should buy some, circle our place and leave for guests to send to their friends. Easy advertising, indeed! Thanks!

(Someday, maybe, we'll make it to Thailand. Until then, I'll console myself with the never ending search for good Thai restaurants in Lisboa.)
debk
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Love your villa! It's top of my wish list.

We leave postcards showing pictures of the apartment and the view, but I never thought to put stamps on. Good idea!
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

I've made up an A4 page brochure that I fold in three and send it with the Damage Deposit cheque inside. I have a short note to thank them for staying and details of the apartment in case they have forgotten :oops:
Not sure yet if it does anything, but at least the guests have it at home after their holiday and if anyone asks whether they enjoyed themselves they may show it to them :lol:
Windy

Post by Windy »

I do the same - nice letter thanking them for their visit, 3 fold brochure, vistaprint business card with picture of lodge, short questionnaire with SAE to return it, and damage deposit cheque.

Bingo - one more marketing "touch" :lol:

J
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Had a contact from the US last night specifically and only asking to see comments by our past guests. I pointed her to our own site (with complete guest book) and also trip advisor for support and within hours a vague enquiry became a firm booking. So perhaps TA is some use after all!
kirkland

Post by kirkland »

moo.com do a very user friendly card, with the added bonus that you can make the picture side of each card different, so local views, etc would be ideal. The guests can then choose their favourites, making them more likely to remember their holiday.
enid

Post by enid »

Love those moo cards -and as I can use my flickr photos it was so easy to do. Thanks :)