Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Domain name

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Domain name Reply with quote

Hello - I am sure this topic has been covered before but because I am just starting out and not yet in the process of creating the website - I am still trying to decide what my domain should be.

Maybe someone can advise me. Our maison is in a tiny village in Aude, the village name is Villeseque-des-Corbieres in a wine growing area. It is not a villa, just a house - how do I choose a domain site which will link to searches? I dont want to be overlooked.

Not quite sure how to go about naming the domain - in order to attract potential surfers.

Any ideas?
Thanks Carolyn
Carow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry new to this site and have jumped the gun again! Just found the thread for New Domain Name? and will browse that on to save you all the time and trouble of going through it again
Embarassed
paolo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what you are considering.
la vache!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aude-gite.com, audegite.com a,d aude-gite.co.uk are all available - I know gites are sometimes considered to have a bit of a downmarket reputation, but I think a lot of people search using the word, so the above maybe worth considering! I think the region is good to get into the domain name if possible - people search more using this than town or village names (I think!).
Carow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that La Vache - thats more or less what I was looking for.

I am interested to know why a Gite is considered to be a bit downmarket? What's the alternative word for a holiday home? I only know the word "Gite".

Carolyn
la vache!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carow wrote:
Thanks for that La Vache - thats more or less what I was looking for.

I am interested to know why a Gite is considered to be a bit downmarket? What's the alternative word for a holiday home? I only know the word "Gite".

Carolyn

I've heard it mentioned on this forum before - the old image of French run gites with plastic garden furniture etc. is in contrast to the often luxury accommodation with a pool holiday homes available now. However, it is such a popular term for finding a holiday home in France, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is more important to be at the top in the search engines with a popular domain name Wink
Martha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd snap up aude-gite and audegite if I were you! Well spotted LV.
Carow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you - I am going try and get aude-gite right now!
mpprh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There are quite a few previous posts about search engine optimisation.

Your domain name should include the search keywords your customers will use when finding their holiday accommodation. People will find your site through a search engine, not by remembering the domain name.

You could probably be No 1 on google for "Villeseque-des-Corbieres gites" but, of course, few will search for that.

Equally "Aude Gite" puts you in competition with all the agencies and listing sites.

Although the domain name is one of the factors in search engine positioning, it is probably not as important as we imagine.

For the search term Aude gite, No.3 out of 938,000 responses is an individual gite without the word gite or Aude in the domain name ( www.netmefrance.com which is pretty meaningless ?) .

They have gained this position by careful use of keywords and providing a lot of relevant content - this is more important than relying on the domain name.

Peter
Carow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, since I started this thread I found the other threads regarding Domain name questions.

After having googled aude-gite, I can see what you mean Peter. Its the key words that count rather than the domain name itself. I think I will still go with aude-gite but try and get my keywords right.

Thanks for pointing that out. I have only just started researching this subject so am still very green on the matter.

Best way to learn? Ask questions
Carolyn
la vache!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpprh wrote:

They have gained this position by careful use of keywords and providing a lot of relevant content - this is more important than relying on the domain name.

Peter

I didn't mean to suggest that the domain name alone would get you to the top of the search engine listings Embarassed I know there is a lot more to it than that, but I think that overall a domain name with the area + accommodation type is an advantage, it has been for me.
Martha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, you're quite right, but it is a huge plus. I think if you have a relevant site, as Carolyn has, *and* the domain, *and* put some care into your SEO (plenty of good tips on LMH!)you should be able to get onto page one eventually. I would get the variations with and without the hyphen as they're available and to keep your name unique.
paolo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not attach much importance to the domain name in terms of search engine position, I would try to make it as short as possible while describing what you are offering. aude-gite fulfils that. I prefer 'rental' to 'gite' but I couldn't tell you if it's going to get you more bookings.
Carow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulo that's a good point regarding rental rather than gite.
Many people in the rest of the world would not know what a gite is if they've never been to France.
thanks, Carolyn[/quote]
Margaret

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But rental alone does not necessary convey the holiday aspect. We recently placed an advetisement in the US and realised at the last minute that our idea to refer to just 'apartments' was not a good one as it could refer to apartments available for longer term letting. That's where you would have a problem with the domain name, because you need holiday for Brits and vacation for Americans. You can solve that in your choice of search terms of course. I think most Americans coming to Europe would know about the difference in meaning of holiday between the 2 continents. Gite is a bit of a problem but I have known people who have searched for 'Bavaria gite'!
www.border-holidays.co.uk
www.twitter.com/BavarianForest
www.facebook.com/BavarianForestHolidays
How to build your own personal website from scratch