Toys & Games

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Phew!What a storm in a teacup eh?Perhaps it was a bit of panic at being in total charge of the child and not knowing quite what to do!!!! :cry: Sad isn't it?

www.thepetitmanoir.com
A-two

Post by A-two »

We welcome children of all ages and provide a high chair, travel cot (Graco Pack 'n Play) and stair gates free of charge on request. I don't think our liability is increased by these items, any more than it already is by having a climbing frame, swing set and hoops that have been there for 30 years. To put this in perspective, our house isn't even fenced from the beach, so letting children get out bed in the morning represents a risk when you provide a bucket and spade (which we do).

If there were something wrong with the high chair for example, the manufacturer's would be in the frame, same for the cot and stair gates. Luckily, none of this has ever happened to me, even living in the most litigeous society in the world where there is no such thing as an accident anymore (don't get me started).

The only item I have been told explicitly not to provide is a trampoline. There are no insurers who will allow you to have one of those any more, even in your own home.

I do not provide bedding for the travel cot as I believe very young children much prefer their own security blankets and I understand that Moms want to bring their own for hygeine reasons also. This has never been a problem. So far as I'm concerned, the cot is clean when washed down with soap and water and I have never heard of a "sanitizing" service.

We provide the usual board games, dvds etc, but by far the most popular games so far have been (in order of priority):-

1. two packs of plain playing cards, (on which I have been complimented twice in the last few weeks).

2. one of those battery operated fluffy puppies that walks around when you talk to it, for which I picked up a toy pet carrier. Leaving a pet at home can be hard on a young child, so I think carrying this around helps, that's my theory anyway!

3. a plastic outdoor motorbike with a rocker bottom that has a flashing light.

None of these items cost more than $5, the bike being picked up from a local school fundraiser. I do not provide pens and paper and coloring books as I don't want it on the walls.

I'm sure everyone has their favorites. Mine also includes the Duplo and a freshly laundered cuddly toy on the child's pillow if age appropriate. I have a box of them which I rotate and throw in the washing machine with the towels.
Waves from America
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joanna wrote:.....2. one of those battery operated fluffy puppies that walks around when you talk to it.....
I am sometimes called Fluffy here and I too walk around when talked to. Since I am fitted with a pace-maker I suppose one could say I am also battery operated. But, please don't leave me lying around for children to play with, I'm not that fluffy.

Alan
debk

Post by debk »

Since I am fitted with a pace-maker I suppose one could say I am also battery operated. But, please don't leave me lying around for children to play with, I'm not that fluffy.
All alone in the office, laughing my head off...
enid

Post by enid »

Sort of conjures up a Stepford wives kind of scenario - this time fluffy husbands who go around happily cutting the grass and cleaning the pool! I've got one just like that too!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Ooh! Ooh! How can I get one of these fluffy house-trained husbands? :D
Brooke
tansy

Post by tansy »

Well I'm afraid mine doesn't match up.... otherwise you'd be welcome :lol: :lol: :lol: