Enquiry via SMS

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
corepotente

Enquiry via SMS

Post by corepotente »

Hello everybody.
This site is amazing and knowing I am not alone make me feel a lot better!

It's been a while I register here and it's time to post my first question.

Have you ever received an enquiry via SMS?
It happened few times to me and it's always unpleasant :roll:
Why don't they simply send a quick e-mail or call me?
If yes, do you bother typing your answer or do you call him/her first to see if it is a real inquiry ...or do you just don't care?

Corinna
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I don't bother with text messages...can hardly figure out how to send them anyway...not really used in the US for people over the age of 12 usually.
corepotente

Post by corepotente »

Musetta, you are probably right!

I think that only Italians are so crazy with SMS!

I have to admit anyway that I received even promos from vacation rental sites to convince me to advertise with them one of my properties - so I guess for someone is the new frontiere! BTW I think this is very intrusive.
and every time I receive an enquiry (genuine or not) I am alwasy unprepared! :shock:
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

hahaha. true. if you get a lot of Italians, then probably texts are a must ;-) no one in the US would bother I thiink - probably use their Blackberry instead :-)
Texts seem to be popular in the UK and Ireland though too - I'm sure someone else will chime in who actually liveds there though and let you know if they really get inquiries that way ;-)
I'm REALLY horrible about not charging my phone...or leabving it in my car - never bother to take it out of the bottom of my handbag really ;-) and don't even notice messages that often...so...really not a good choice for me :-)! (an Italian would think I am completey insane at my lack of reverance for the telefonino...but hey...I CHECK my EMAIL everyday...and I just can't seem to convince any Italians I know to do that ;-) )
Ju

Post by Ju »

I have received enquiries by SMS and they turned into bookings.

Often it is something like someone using the internet at work when they are supposed to be doing work, so they don't want to send an e-mail from their work ID and they don't want to phone as people will overhear - so they text instead.

Many people in the UK (including some of my family) run their lives by SMS (not just the young, my step mum is never seen without her phone and sends at least 20 texts a day). Their phone is with them constantly so if they get a text they read it immediately - where it might take them days to read their e-mail.

I also often get texts from guests saying that they will arrive in an hour for example, or once they are here that they would like to order food or babysitting.

Texts abroad are so much cheaper than phoning, and many people have a certain number of free texts each month so it doesn't cost them anything.
corepotente

Post by corepotente »

Musetta wrote:(an Italian would think I am completey insane at my lack of reverance for the telefonino...but hey...I CHECK my EMAIL everyday...and I just can't seem to convince any Italians I know to do that ;-) )
:lol:
corepotente

Post by corepotente »

Don't know what happened with my previous post - sorry!
I posted before even write my answer.... :oops:

Ju
I can understand people who has already booked sending you a text message informing where they are or any other information/service they might need once they arrive - BUT it is probably me - I fell very unconfortable when it's time to reply to a text message.

Anyway I will let you know how it goes this time - (never a SMS inquiry turned into a booking :( !)

Corinna
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

There is no mobile signal in my house due to the metre thick granite walls so receiving enquiries by text isn't viable. Even if I did get them there is usually a delay of at least 2 days before Orange gets round to notifying me of them. :evil:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have had a couple of enquiries by text, but they were both for dates that were already booked, so I just replied sorry we're booked.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

La Vache wrote:Even if I did get them there is usually a delay of at least 2 days before Orange gets round to notifying me of them. :evil:
We get the same with Vodafone sometimes - you suddenly get a message up to five days after it was left. Usually, they are instant - phone goes in car while driving, a minute later the voicemail is ringing.

John
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

For me, a booking is a booking. SMS will do fine as a first contact, and I would then use it to establish something more amenable, such as phone or email.

As Ju says, it's now a major communication format in the UK - I use it myself regularly, when something is non-urgent, so folks can reply to me when it's convenient, rather than when they're working or driving, or whatever.

What's the problem?

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Even MOH has got as far as receiving SMS messages - given a year or two she might even start sending them. :lol:
polly

Post by polly »

I do a lot a texting, as I am from UK. I wouldn't consider it as instant messaging though, as the texts do not always come through until the next day.

I think that it is probably going to get more popular in the future for bookings though. It's cheap and easy, unlike me :lol:
My Villa in Campoverde Spain