Am I a sole trader and should I be paying NI contributions?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
smallcheese

Am I a sole trader and should I be paying NI contributions?

Post by smallcheese »

I am freqently asked on forms whether I am emplyed or self-emplyed. I believe, as an owner and manager of holiday homes, that tecniquely I am a 'sole trader', which I guess, means I am self employed. Does that mean I should be paying Class 2 National Insurance contributions? Anyone got any ideas?
Alan Knighting

Re: Am I a sole trader and should I be paying NI contributio

Post by Alan Knighting »

smallcheese wrote:I am freqently asked on forms whether I am emplyed or self-emplyed. I believe, as an owner and manager of holiday homes, that tecniquely I am a 'sole trader', which I guess, means I am self employed. Does that mean I should be paying Class 2 National Insurance contributions? Anyone got any ideas?
If you are self-employed, and according to your self-description you are, you are liable for the payment of Class 2 National Insurance contributions. The basic rule is that if you want to receive State Benefits you have to make contributions under either Class 1 or Class 2.

You’ll find a lot more if you go to State Benefits.

Alan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I'm probably out of date with info, but it depending on your circumstances it may be worth keeping up even voluntary contributions, to ensure a UK state pension, especially if you've had working periods abroad.

MG
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

I'm self employed (run B&B and holiday cottages) and definitely pay monthly NI contributions. Your accountant should be able to advise.