Teenage guests part 1

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Linda Freese

Teenage guests part 1

Post by Linda Freese »

I got the shock of my life yesterday when I opened the door to my guests to find 6 teenagers (17-18 year olds) standing there!!! They had booked my apartment by email (i.e. I had no phone conversation with any of them) and when they sent me a security deposit cheque it was from the account of Mrs xxx, obviously one of their mothers!

They were very polite and well spoken, but at the end of the day they are teenagers! I don´t mean to sound ageist but I´m very worried about my apartment now - I remember what I was like as a teenager on holiday with my friends I guess.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this can be avoided in the future? I´m not sure if it would look too good if I put in my advert "I do not rent to teenagers without their parents"! And I can hardly ask for ages before confirmation....or can I? Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

Linda
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

In my terms and conditions I put
'Contracts - Must be completed by the designated party leader (hereafter known as 'the Client'), who must be at least 25 years of age. No all-male or all-female bookings in excess of two persons are allowed – unless specific authorisation has been previously agreed with the Proprietor'

and also ask them to fill in flight details, on that form there is a D.O.B. column. So far so good although I have taken guests for other properties that don't mind what their ages are and they have been very responsible!
debk

Post by debk »

I'd be nervous, too, though I was a very responsible teenager. :roll:

I have a slightly different slant than the above (which is very nicely written), but it might have worked for you in this instance.

The #1 clause in my Rental Agreement, which is approved by the person making payment (and no one else), is:

1. You are making this reservation for yourself. As such, you will personally be present at check-in and will present your passport photo page to the VisitingPortugal rental agent. If paying by credit card, the name on your passport must be recognizable as the name on the credit card used to secure your reservation.

2. You take full responsibility for all occupants and visitors, also referred to as Guest(s), on the premises during your occupancy.

This was intended to (1) keep someone from using a stolen credit card (I don't take checks anymore) and (2) ensure that the person making payment knew that they were fully responsible for everyone else in regards to abiding by the RAgreement. The buck stops with them.

No way could mother have paid for the kids to vacation without her, though a kid with a credit card could still book with us. As such, I do rather like that age clause, above...
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

Thanks for your feedback. They called me yesterday to ask me how the washing machine works....bless :shock:
paolo

Post by paolo »

This thread continues here:

viewtopic.php?p=8930
Paolo
Lay My Hat