Nice Apartment -please give opinions

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
declanja

Nice Apartment -please give opinions

Post by declanja »

Hi all,

Pretty new to this game. Have an apartment in Nice. Just created web page with thanks to advise from LYH. All help gratefully accepted!

Declan
http://www.niceplace.iowners.net/
http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p85390
http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/nice/53349
declanja

Post by declanja »

I have just realised that i am not playing by the rules, by not having reviewed existing sites for other members.I will recitify this!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

declanja,

Welcome to the forum! :)

Here are my first-pass thoughts in list format:
  • The text on main page is good, though I can see some places where you could add keywords. For example, Instead of "Superb One Bedroom Apartment In The Heart of Nice", it could be "Superb One Bedroom Holiday Rental Apartment In The Heart of Nice, France".

I do find the yellow background a little bright, such that the orange font and even the black font is a little hard to read. I do have a very nice monitor and I tend to keep the contrast high, though, so that might not be the case for everyone. But for me the black font might also be a little small.

The details page is all text, and that might be required by the iowners template, but I suggest that you mention often that you have a photo gallery, and link to it from within your text on any page that doesn't have any (or many) pictures.

Also, anytime you say "please e-mail us" this should probably be an active bit of text with a (secured against spammers) mailto link or a link to your inquiry form.
This must look very negative, but it's mostly small details. I think it's a lovely apartment and Nice is a fantastic city -- I'm envious! :)
Brooke
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Declan,
what a location! I think your place looks lovely, but there are a few things in the photos that I'd change. You are marketing it as a 'luxury apartment' and some of the photos don't show that. I hate net curtains in most of the shots (sorry) and I don't think you need the table and chairs in the kitchen - it would look bigger without them, after all, you have a table in the living area and on the terrace, it just isn't necessary in the kitchen. I don't personally like advertising sofa bed accommodation as included in the number of people the apartment is for, but maybe it is something you do in cities. The portable TV doesn't scream luxury, a flat screen would look much better and I think there is a throw on one of the sofas (I hate that too).
But it looks fantastic, definitely one to bookmark.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I don't personally like advertising sofa bed accommodation as included in the number of people the apartment is for, but maybe it is something you do in cities.
...... and ski resorts. If others do so, you don't really have much choice or you appear to be uncompetitive.
kirkland

Post by kirkland »

Accommodation is spelt/spelled wrongly on one of the gallery pics. :)
Linda S

Post by Linda S »

Hi Declanja,

Your place looks lovely!

I would suggest more pictures. On your details page I know you can put up to 4 on the side of your text. If you're short on pictures right now, I would copy at least 2 of your best on to the details page even if it duplicates what's in the gallery. The photo size on the side of the detail page are a little larger than those on the gallery page and they enlarge as well.

You might consider making a list of the basics and extras that are supplied for the guest rather than have them in the room descriptions. It might break up the page a little. I did my list in word with bullets and then copied and pasted it into the Iowners text box. If there is a way to do it in their text box, well I couldn't figure it out. My site is an iowner's site but I just got the .com from them.

Good luck with your site,
Linda
http://www.sanjosedelcabo-condorental.com
Linda
Windy

Post by Windy »

Hi Declanja

Lovely site,

I thought that the single photo on its own on P2 of the gallery looked a little forlorn, and being REALLY pedantic "We provide a range of complimentary toiletries for our guests use. should have an apostrophe "We provide a range of complimentary toiletries for our guests' use."

I love your availability calendar - is that your own or is it available?

Best wishes

John
declanja

Post by declanja »

Thank you all for your constructive comments. You certainly are an observant bunch. I accept all points, espeically yours re curtains and TV, La Vache. Maybe I should drop the word "Luxury" ! I am reading up on the importance of keywords, vrooje, and will rescript the text and add the links. The second page of the photo gallery does look sad, but I'm out of good photos. I am in Nice next week and now know what to shoot.

What is the LMH opinion on details of Nice and the Riviera region to include on my webpage? I feel that most renters have decided to come to the area and are choosing between the different holiday accommodation available. I have not been spending much effort on selling the region to them. My efforts are for them to book with me! Is this a correct strategy?

Thank you Helen B, Kirkland, Linda S and Windy for taking the time to review. I have been unable to be online all week so its gratifying to have all of your replies. Will try to take all your advise on board and re edit tomorrow. What a loser way to spend Sunday!

http://www.niceplace.iowners.net/
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

declanja wrote:I feel that most renters have decided to come to the area and are choosing between the different holiday accommodation available.
Perhaps they've decided to come to your region, but not yet decided on Nice? Or perhaps they're looking just anywhere in the south and have randomly come across your website.

It certainly can't hurt to have a page devoted to a quality description of why Nice is the best place to go on the Riviera. I've always felt that convincing people to come to your city in particular, and even to your quarter of the city, is just another part of convincing them to stay at your rental.

Aside from that, our own webstats tell us that people come to our site after searching for the name of the town we're in. So having a description of your area, especially if it's full of well-placed keywords, can help you increase your website traffic. And probably your page rank, too.
Brooke
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi Declan,

Great location in Nice! And the place looks lovely. I like the photos - lots of light, very nice. And I like the table in the kitchen. As a city dweller, I dream of once again having a kitchen big enough to accommodate a table where I can actually sit and eat!

The HR page looks great. However, there are several typos on the iowners one. And some misspelt names - eg Promenade des Anglais, not d'anglais; Jean Medecin. And you're missing some spaces between words. All easily fixed if you run a spell/grammarcheck - I think it's important to get the text right.

Is there a reason why your pricing is in pounds sterling and not euros? With the way the pound is going, you'll be updating constantly if you want to guarantee a euro income. Since you have a currency converter on the page, inquirers will have no problem converting.

If you're taking more photos, I would suggest more of the balcony and go for some closeups as well - table set for dinner etc. Sell the lifestyle!

btw I love your dining table! I want it - where did you get it? It looks very like a friend's one only they only had wood and glass when I checked. Is that metal and glass? (sorry for going off-topic but the search for the perfect dining table has been going on for a while!)

Best of luck with rentals!
Lounging on the lily pad...
declanja

Post by declanja »

Thanks Greenfrog, Is there a story behind that handle?
The table and chairs were bought in FLY in Nice. I think they have outlets all over France but I'm not sure. A bit like IKEA, it comes in a box but easily assembled. Will be in Nice at weekend and plan more photos so watch this space!

The Euro/ Pound thing is a bit disappointing but most clients are British and I feel in Nice where there are so many apartments for rent, price is important. Maybe next year my confidence in the property and my marketing skills will let me raise prices. I have been studying rental prices all year and get a feeling that they are reducing as the spring arrives. Is this true?
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

I don't know about prices reducing - I've been doing okay so not reducing. Although I didn't raise them for 2008 cos I have lots of americans and the dollar is so worthless that Europe is becoming a very expensive destination. I won't even accept dollar payments anymore and have been a lot less willing of late to take sterling. I need a currency I can spend!

Greenfrog came about at a time when everyone was choosing animal names here and it coincided with a birthday e-card with that frog in the pic. As an Irish woman in France I'm a sort of green "frog"! Voila!
(with apologies to all the French, "frog" is meant in the nicest possible way!)
Lounging on the lily pad...