Finished Or Only Just Started - You Decide (please?) ;-)

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Garri

Post by Garri »

The major browsers don't take long to download and they are free so why doesn't everyone have the latest thing? It would make everyone's life just that bit easier.

Couldn't agree with you more Alan. I guess the reason is because, as you have said yourself, people are scared of change. I was stuck using IE5 for the Mac for years cos it worked better (I say better but it kept crashing) on my machine than the alternative Netscape. It was easier to make the change though once I had new OS.

I'm not sure how XP does things but every Monday I get served updates via Apple directly to my machine via the OS interface. Whenever there's a new release/update of their proprietary software e.g. iTunes, photo, movie, Safari etc, it recommends I update by simply clicking. It highlights the recommended updates only for the software it knows I have, with other updates greyed out - I can select them but not appropriate for stuff like iSight as I don't have cam linked up.

It's great cos it means I don't have to wander around their site downloading updates etc.

I'm sure XP does this but probably in its own inimitable a clunky way.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Garri,

Microsoft has a similar update service for XP. Once one has used it for the first time it can be set to send automatic notification of appropriate updates, when they are available. One can chose to accept all, some or none of the updates, straight away or later.

Alternatively, one can go onto the Microsoft update site, have your software list compared with their update list and again chose to accept all, some or none of what is on offer. Microsoft say they do not record what software is on your PC, but is that true? My suspicious mind tells me that even if they don't now, they will.

In theory it is a super service but I think it has to be treated with great caution. You never really know what is in the update - you are told a little bit about each one. For instance, I recently took the IE6 tabbing toolbar with disastrous results - it "fiddled" with many of my settings, settings which had taken ages to perfect. I immediately uninstalled the tool bar, did a "roll back" and went on my merry way.

I am not all that interested in tabbing tool bars anyway and I have them in Netscape and Firefox if I want to use them. OK! I can almost hear you saying "Alan, why don't you change your default browser to Netscape or Firefox?" I have no answer to that one other than I am so familiar with IE. That's about the lamest excuse I have given for anything in a long time.

Alan
Garri

Post by Garri »

Microsoft say they do not record what software is on your PC, but is that true? My suspicious mind tells me that even if they don't now, they will.
Alan, I have a theory as to why there are gaping security flaws in IE. They exist so that MS can peek about your hard drive. Unfortunately, some dubious people have exploited these holes for criminal activities.

The reason why these holes still exist is so that MS can gain access to your PC. I can't see any reason that tells me otherwise.

I also know who really shot JFK, and why.... :wink:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Kevin,

The menus look fine in Linux now! :)

I would never go back to IE after Firefox. Tabbed browsing is wonderful! :) I'm completely addicted to it and can't stand having to open a new window in IE every time I want to go to a different page.

The one thing I can't check for on my web site is Mac browsers -- I have no idea how my sites look in them and I am not about to buy a new computer just to find out!

But I suspect that the reason most people don't have copies of every available major browser is very similar to Alan's reason for sticking with IE. :)
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,
The one thing I can't check for on my web site is Mac browsers
I think you might be able to at:-

http://www.browsercam.com/

Mind you, you'll have to pay for the service.

Alan
Garri

Post by Garri »

Hi Brooke, a mini mac is cheap and I use one. Have it networked to Win 95, XP and they all share same monitor, keyboard and mouse through a kvm switch.

If that's not viable then I suggest you take a look at this solution:

http://www.browsercam.com/

Could be useful to you.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Alan, you beat me you rascal!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Garri wrote:Alan, you beat me you rascal!
Ah! yes. But only just.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Fascinating!

Thank you to you both. :)
Brooke